Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi from an Armadillo

Discussion in 'Introduction Forum:' started by berry, Nov 6, 2008.

1. berry

berry Active Member

Hi to everyone on the forum. I'm an M.D of my own ad/design agency, both design and web. But still a Creative Director at heart. Ex Chairman of a Creative Circle, hundreds of years of experience and a razor tongue! I've always got something to say about ads or design. So this should be fun.

2. Greg

Greg Active Member

Hey Berry,

Welcome to Design Forums, pleased you could make it :)
    Look forward to reading your experienced posts & witnessing the 'razor tongue' around the forums!

Thanks,
    Greg

3. Mike

Mike Senior Member

Welcome Berry, nice to see another new face!

4. mrleesimpson

mrleesimpson Guest

Berry welcome to forum.

Out of interest do you have someone working for you called Lee? I think I may know him through his girlfriend.

5. berry

berry Active Member

Yes, Lee is Creative Director at Armadillo

6. Greg

Greg Active Member

Small world and all that!
    Got to say I really like the Breathe Skincare and Utopia Travel work Armadillo has done Berry, impressive stuff. Greg

7. berry

berry Active Member

Cheers. I'm hoping that my experience and depth may be of use and help some of the newcomers and students in design to help them avoid all the pot holes and mistakes that lay ahead. And I do love pushing people to develop and be better than what they are.

8. Greg

Greg Active Member

That's great Berry, great to be getting some more experienced designers on the forums, and it sounds like your input will be really valuable. Did you work your way up from a Junior Design position to Creative Director then Managing Director with Armadillo Creative/other design agencies?

9. mrleesimpson

mrleesimpson Guest

Wow. Yer I worked with his girlfriend at Opus. It is a small world.

10. berry

berry Active Member

I've worked my way up, through 5 of the top ad agencies. Started out as Junior Artist doing artwork/design. (pre-Mac days, magic markers and hand lettering) Then a finished Artist, Studio Manager, Art Director, Creative Group Head, Creative Director, Executive Creative Director. Then 3 years ago set up Armadillo with just my "protege trainee Lee". Now we are 12 strong and after 6 years working under me Lee has taken over as CD from me. Long graft, loads of mistakes on the way too!

11. Greg

Greg Active Member

Cool thanks for the little background post, have you always been based in the Newcastle/Tyne & Wear area or have you re-located for various positions through your career? Sounds like it's all gone really well with your own company to go from just you two to 12 and for your protege to now be CD :)

12. berry

berry Active Member

Always been in Newcastle. I love it up here, never been tempted by other cities. You can do good work anywhere, everything else is just geography. I did get a big offer once to join a very big creative London Ad agency as a CD, but never really liked London or the scene at all. Nice to visit, but not too live. Quite happy being a Geordie boy.
    Lee is a rarity as his greatest skill is not his talent, but his ability to listen and learn. An attribute that is missing in young designers who just want Now. You can never ever stop learning.

13. Eagle

Eagle Member

Welcome. :up: