Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi Everyone!

Discussion in 'Introduction Forum:' started by mattyd81, Mar 27, 2011.

1. mattyd81

mattyd81 Junior Member

Hi everyone,

Hope you have all had a great weekend?

Mine name is Matt from Lincolnshire, I'm currently working as a marketing manager responsible for Christmas creative and point of sale :)

I'm hoping to develop my skills and learn the other side of the process and get some graphic design under my belt to give me some options later on in life.
    I've been on a taster course using quark at my local college however as this is only a 6 week taster course, I'm trying to find options to undertake a full time course in the evenings. If this fails I will have to try home study self taught.
    I have creative suite cs3 for now though and attempting to replicate point of sale etc to develop my understanding of the programmes etc.

Would be interested from anyone who can suggest good reference sites, must have books etc that would further help my understanding of type and layout etc.

Well it's great to be here and look forward to making some new friends.

2. Thewholehogg

Thewholehogg Active Member

Hi Mattyd81. I've worked in the Christmas industry...always fun in March.

Welcome to the DF.
  3. BenJonesDesign

BenJonesDesign Active Member

Hi Matty, welcome to the forum. I'm self taught and a lot of my techniques came from online tutorials, one site in particular was . You could also look at the classroom in a book series, a lot of people recommend this series and I think they use it for uni courses etc. Generally most people in the art and design industry learned most of their skills outside of education and on the job. All you can do is practice practice practice.
  4. mattyd81

mattyd81 Junior Member

Hi peeps thanks for the welcomes. Will check out everyones recommendations, looking forward to a change of direction and being a little more creative!

Typo - It's xmas everyday for me :( At the moment I'm in LED heaven and decorations ha ha. So check out your high streets come October!
  5. Xenonsoft

Xenonsoft Active Member

Welcome aboard Matt. I'm not sure on type resources but WeLoveTypography are great to browse for inspiration.
  6. mattyd81

mattyd81 Junior Member

Thanks Fred will check it out. My friend has recommended getting The Production Manual book is this a good read?
  7. Thewholehogg

Have you checked out my Christmas stuff on my website?
  8. Jimlad

Jimlad Well-Known Member

I remember the feeling well! Me and Typo both worked for the same Christmas company, tinsel and elves all year long! Still lots of Xmas stuff in my portfolio.

Welcome to the forum, and the yearlong Christmas, lol.
  9. mattyd81

mattyd81 Junior Member

Ha ha who was that for? Lets just say I work for the largest health and beauty retailer in the UK :) So keep your eyes peeled this xmas on the high street ;)
  10. Thewholehogg

We worked at Center Design up at Newcastle. We were both illustrators. It was just me for a while then young Jim came in for a laugh and to make the tea.

I've done some work for Piggotts lighting who do Oxford street Christmas display...

....they still haven't payed me yet. Sheesh.
  11. mattyd81

mattyd81 Junior Member

Thats bad of them :( Just ordered the production manual book, heard good things about it so be a good read. Guess it's all about practice and see where I get to...
  12. Jimlad

Jimlad Well-Known Member

Typo, I had to make the tea/coffee cos you didn't stir when you made them!
    It was a laugh though. How did you suffer having no-one to be nerdy with until I arrived??

I'll keep an eye out next xmas matty, whats the name of the "largest health and beauty retailer in the UK" again... Wellies isnt it? Or Shoes, or something. ;)
  13. WEBIAN

WEBIAN Senior Member

Were kindred spirits!
  14. mattyd81

mattyd81 Junior Member

very disappointing that theres no part time college courses in lincolnshire where i could learn better. How do people expect you to learn if you work full time and no courses available!

I guess it will be the book way for me too....
  15. Thewholehogg

Youtube can be your learning friend. How's business?
  16. WEBIAN

WEBIAN Senior Member

Nice to see this thread after long time...

Have you thought about moving to London for studying Matty (while working)? You’ll get a load more of opportunities.
  17. mattyd81

mattyd81 Junior Member

been a while hey! been so busy :(

Have thought about London but need to find a job in my current field first. Studying is always hard this neck of the woods.

All is well though guess for now I have to get on with the books and do some sample briefs etc
  18. DWildish

DWildish Member

Happy Christmas...oh wait!
  19. mattyd81

mattyd81 Junior Member

its closer than you think :)
  20. Thewholehogg

It is, I've just finished a set of visuals for Coventry City Centre Christmas displays....golden cherubs in July/August.