Help with typefaces!

willdawson

Hi All!

Not sure which typeface would be best for this logo?

Screen%20shot%202011-01-07%20at%2011.17.01%20PM.png

Any help, or advice with the overall logo would be appreciated! :D

- Will

Hi Will,

Welcome to Design Forums, can you tell us a bit more about who the logo is for perhaps? Just based on overall aesthetics I think I prefer the bottom one, the cleaner type seems to sit better with the icon for me :)

Edit: Perhaps you could match the width of the gap/line through the icon with the width of the type to help it connect a little more?

Hey Greg,

Thanks for a quick reply and the warm welcome :)

The logo is actually for my own little startup found here: Veneer Graphics - A web design studio in Sydney, Australia..

I'm just sort of updating the website and logo, as well as colour scheme and the like. Just a 'refresh' of sorts :)

Thanks for the advice :) Once I fix up padding, spacing, letter-spacing etc. I'll repost for some more advice! :)

I'm going to be really akward and say the top one. Slab serifs are popular just now and it gives it a more unique look I think.

It seems that everyone loves the second one (except Andy :p).

@leelovesbikestoo Not sure what you mean by shallow?

IMO Veneer sort of fits the whole graphic design/web design nature of the company. A veneer is typically applying a facade or finish on something to give it a more unique or more beautiful appearance, so for me it really seems to fit :D And I got the name by throwing around some letters I liked and got it :)

Okay, well the font choice is sort of obvious I guess. Previously I had 8 font choices but narrowed it down to these. Those included Museo (used in my current logo), Museo Slab and 4 others whose names I forget :p would anyone else have a suitable font choice other than these two (Gotham and Nilland)?

Hi Will,

Whilst veneer does fit with your definition, don't forget there's also the negative thinking of, a nice material wrapped around cheap, ie. most flat pack is chipboard/mdf with veneer, so the idea of a false front? Perhaps that's what Lee was getting at with shallow?

Changed the typeface again, this time to Gotham Rounded. I also cleaned up the spacing etc. Thoughts? Advice?

Screen%20shot%202011-01-08%20at%206.12.41%20PM.png

The mark looks like a coffee bean to me!! What's the concept behind that?

I would second Gregs first suggestion of trying to match the spacing of the letters to match the width of the icon?

Gotham Rounded is looking nice Will, have you tried rounding the sharp corners of your icon to match the new typeface?

Chris Lord said:
The mark looks like a coffee bean to me!! What's the concept behind that?

It's actually a leaf! Haha. The concept came from a simple brainstorm; starting with the idea of a wooden veneer, eventually leading to a leaf! Still not entirely sure about the spacing? Could someone explain this a little further? Sorry :confused:

Greg said:
Gotham Rounded is looking nice Will, have you tried rounding the sharp corners of your icon to match the new typeface?
I'll experiment with this now!

Greg said:

Screen_shot_2011-01-09_at_12.09.24_AM.png

Not entirely sure about rounded corners...if it were a coffee bean it would be a different story, but sharp corners seem to match the leaf icon better IMO. What do you think?

How about rounded at the bottom and sharp at the top? Might help define it more as a leaf? and less as a coffee bean..

Back