• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Help with typefaces!

willdawson

Hi All!

Not sure which typeface would be best for this logo?

Any help, or advice with the overall logo would be appreciated! :D

- Will

Greg

Hi Will,

Welcome to Design Forums, can you tell us a bit more about who the logo is for perhaps? Just based on overall aesthetics I think I prefer the bottom one, the cleaner type seems to sit better with the icon for me :)

Edit: Perhaps you could match the width of the gap/line through the icon with the width of the type to help it connect a little more?

AndySmiff

I'm going to be really akward and say the top one. Slab serifs are popular just now and it gives it a more unique look I think.

willdawson

It seems that everyone loves the second one (except Andy :p).

@leelovesbikestoo Not sure what you mean by shallow?

IMO Veneer sort of fits the whole graphic design/web design nature of the company. A veneer is typically applying a facade or finish on something to give it a more unique or more beautiful appearance, so for me it really seems to fit :D And I got the name by throwing around some letters I liked and got it :)

Okay, well the font choice is sort of obvious I guess. Previously I had 8 font choices but narrowed it down to these. Those included Museo (used in my current logo), Museo Slab and 4 others whose names I forget :p would anyone else have a suitable font choice other than these two (Gotham and Nilland)?

Greg

Hi Will,

Whilst veneer does fit with your definition, don't forget there's also the negative thinking of, a nice material wrapped around cheap, ie. most flat pack is chipboard/mdf with veneer, so the idea of a false front? Perhaps that's what Lee was getting at with shallow?

The mark looks like a coffee bean to me!! What's the concept behind that?

I would second Gregs first suggestion of trying to match the spacing of the letters to match the width of the icon?

Greg

Gotham Rounded is looking nice Will, have you tried rounding the sharp corners of your icon to match the new typeface?

willdawson

Chris Lord said:
The mark looks like a coffee bean to me!! What's the concept behind that?
It's actually a leaf! Haha. The concept came from a simple brainstorm; starting with the idea of a wooden veneer, eventually leading to a leaf! Still not entirely sure about the spacing? Could someone explain this a little further? Sorry :confused:

Greg said:
Gotham Rounded is looking nice Will, have you tried rounding the sharp corners of your icon to match the new typeface?
I'll experiment with this now!

willdawson

Greg said:

Not entirely sure about rounded corners...if it were a coffee bean it would be a different story, but sharp corners seem to match the leaf icon better IMO. What do you think?

Greg

How about rounded at the bottom and sharp at the top? Might help define it more as a leaf? and less as a coffee bean..