Help with pricing a design

Theory Unit

Hi all,

I was hoping you guys and gals might be able to give me some guidance on what to charge for designing the graphics for a company's website - they are a new small company (online only) and I guess need visual branding from the ground up.

They have a coder to build it and they want, I'm guessing (I haven't spoken to them post-initial enquiry), a logo, colour scheme, buttons, possibly layout etc.

Any help would be appreciated. I was thinking around £500...
Thanking you,
Matt

There isn't really a set price for any design work. Your price should be determined by the time you think it will take you to complete the brief + a little extra £. And unless you know exactly what is required, you are not really in a position to be able to give them a price. If they don't want any thing more than what you have mentioned, then £500 should be about the minimum charge but again it all depends on how quickly you work.

There isn't really a set price for any design work. Your price should be determined by the time you think it will take you to complete the brief + a little extra £. And unless you know exactly what is required, you are not really in a position to be able to give them a price. If they don't want any thing more than what you have mentioned, then £500 should be about the minimum charge but again it all depends on how quickly you work.

Thanks CLHB - I'm waiting for their full requirements. Just to know I'm not a million miles off is good for now - working freelance is new to me.

I would put this around the 650 - 700 mark to be honest. But as mentioned, if it take loads longer than expected and revesion hell is entered then it could be more. I take it they are asking for a fixed price?

Good advice from CLHB there and I think in truth jooty is probably in the same ball-park as ourselves if we were to quote this. My advice would be, whatever price you go for, produce some kind of written proposal document that identifies the project criteria and deliverables up-front and build in a contingency for project-creep. Keep the communication strong with your client throughout the process, be open and don't hide any costs and hopefully everyone will be happy at the end of the day.

Many thanks jooty and 49thfloor. Some good advice there. I'm waiting for him to come back some more info. I think I'll quote a fixed price, be very specific about what that includes and a fee for hourly rate if the project goes outside of that.
Thanks people.

Back