Help with photoshop

Jazajay

Right I am assuming that I am finding this simple, simple problem hard due to the fact that I have been using Fireworks, but I have recently got Photoshop cs.

Right now I cant work out, and would love some help with ~
1. How to set the background colour of the "page".
2. How to resize an element once I have made it,

Would some one please like to enlighten me to how I accomplish this immense task. :lol:

Cheers
Jaz

I find, the easiest way to change the background is to add a layer, and use the fill tool (like a paint bucket). Alternatively you can change this when creating a new document (size, res etc)

To resize, I use transform = Apple + T or 'edit - transform - scale' (on the mac)
I'm not sure about PC, very similar probs, alt + t and 'edit - transform - scale'.. Hold down shift to keep constraints'.

Cheers for the assist having problems finding them, err...yeah I'll work it out now I know what to look for not to worry.

Right then so does Photoshop mainly use layers to edit sections?
So if I want to create a new element, for example a second box, do I have to create a new layer and then edit it in that layer or can I just edit it in the first layer?
Does that make sense?

I think I have to get out of Fireworks mode at the mo, which I find so much easier to use, and look at it from a different perspective, as I appear to be a complete dumbass. :lol:

Jaz

OK no worries found my problem I was working in bitmap form, solved the current problems and found those tools, thank you so much for the help captainrage.

Jaz :clap:

And I am the worst teacher.. I don't know my arse from my elbow..

BUT..

Yes, Photoshop is all about the layers. I'd add a new layer, create the separate box, and eventually merge - if needs be.

Sorry about my lack of skills in the old explanation department.. I know everything there is to know about Photoshop - but it's all in my head, and usually completely backwards.

edit ---

Good work man.. Sorry if I confused you!

Cheers no you didn't it's all good cheers again captinrage, I imagine this thread might become quiet busy over the next few days. :lol:

Jaz

captainrage said:
I'm not sure about PC, very similar probs, alt + t and 'edit - transform - scale'.. Hold down shift to keep constraints'.

Ctrl + T on PC, Ctrl replaces the Apple Key on PC pretty much.

& yes as Captain says, it's all about layers, once you've started building it up you can link the layers or group them as well as labeling them, which is especially helpful when you get a PSD with a few hundred layers going on!! :)

Yeah I've noticed, since I took it out of bitmap whatever, that it acts similar to Fireworks, that being when you create another element it adds it to a new layer automatically and lets you resize it as well.
I think I know what you mean...it sounds as it is similar to Fireworks grouping function.

Cool well thanks for the info, if any one has any basic tips they would like to share or just tips in general, I'm all ears and would love to hear them.

Thanks for the time so far guys and gals....and thanks for your time in the near future as well. :lol:

Jaz

Yep very similar in that sense, one quick tip, if you right-click on the layer name and goto 'Blending Options' you get a few different styling effects you can apply to the layer, such as stroke, gradient fill, drop shadow, etc, as another tip, don't use them too much!! :D

Good luck mastering Photoshop Jaz :)

Well if you have your move tool (shortcut: V), you can right click on elements in your canvas and it will give you a list of layers that are situated below the point you right clicked. So it's easier to find back layers by right clicking your canvas than scrolling through your palette.

Back