Help pricing strategy

Lord Daz

Hi

A Company asked me to design a small illustration for a dinner event. The illustration (a vector work) is going to be printed on the dinner invitation card distributed to all participants.
During the discussion he also says, that he want to use this illustration for future projects like menu cards, flags, flyer and so on. His Idea is to use always the same Illustration, changing each time the year (2020, 2021, 2022).

How should I pricing my work? Is it normal that you draw an Illustration, the company pays you a "small" price (compare to the use that they can do with your work) and than you don't get nothing more?
Should I ask for a Tax each year or should I propose a small redesign each time that the Illustration will be used?

Thanks a lot for your help!
L. D.

Price up the one illustration as an individual fee.

If they want future amends then quote that then when they want it.

Thanks for the Reply!

This is just what I thought but, if in 5 months they want to use the illustration for a flag, how much could I ask them? I have only to scale a vector drawing, that means about 10min work for me.
Other side, a flag with my illustration is more important than a dinner invitation. If I sale my Illustration for 500£ I can not ask in the future the same price (or more) only because I rescale the drawing. Isn't?

Thanks
L.D.

Thanks for the Reply!

This is just what I thought but, if in 5 months they want to use the illustration for a flag, how much could I ask them? I have only to scale a vector drawing, that means about 10min work for me.
Other side, a flag with my illustration is more important than a dinner invitation. If I sale my Illustration for 500£ I can not ask in the future the same price (or more) only because I rescale the drawing. Isn't?

Thanks
L.D.

Minimum rate should be 30 minutes - so half your hourly rate.

Your drawing is one thing - rescaling it for different purposes is another thing.

They're not really paying for you to alter the illustration or artwork.
It falls under what is called "usage" and that's what they pay for.

Say you make an illustration for a company to use on some packaging.
You stipulate that it's for packaging for a term of however long and to be used in say North America.
They then want to use it for a marketing campaign in Europe.

If you have not sold or handed over the full rights and you stipulated it was just for use on the packaging then you can charge them another fee as you own the rights and in a way, you've leased it to them.

They pay for the use of the illustration.
If you need at alter it then you can charge for that on top.

Not many people know that if you were to design a logo for a company then unless agreed, you still technically own the the rights to the design unless you sell or hand them over.

There's a better explanation here.

Thanks a lot for replaying!

Do you know where I can finde some contract template, just to have an Idea about what I can ask the company for? I already ordered the book "Graphic Artists Guild Handbook" but may be you can suggest me some websites about this questions.

Thanks again!
L.D.

Do you know where I can finde some contract template, just to have an Idea about what I can ask the company for? I already ordered the book "Graphic Artists Guild Handbook" but may be you can suggest me some websites about this questions.

Thanks again!
L.D.

Not read through it but I think there's a basic one on the link I gave you above if you scroll down a bit.

There's a better explanation here.

Thanks again!
L.D.
The AOI
https://theaoi.com

Contract templates and lots of helpful advice there! x

Back