HELP NEEDED with Graphic Design dissertation

GDI

My main argument is based around the (set) question of 'What constitutes a good piece of work?'.
I have to talk about my own work and that of at least one other practitioner.
Can anyone help me in any way please - writing is not my strong point and I'm really stuck.

I'd research on the net, maybe gets some books. There are loads of books by people like by Stephen Bayley, Terence Conran etc on design theory, form vs function etc. That's where your research should come from. Go to the design museum perhaps. I'd widen it out to good design in general then see how it applies to Graphics in particular.

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. That is great advice thank you, it has helped a lot.
I just had a quick look through your website and I think it's great - some fantastic advertising and design pieces there.

Thanks for the praise. And good luck with the dissertation. Don't worry too much about it though. Nobody ever asked to see it, or what mark I got in my course. Your portfolio is the most important thing.

Also, think about what sort of work you're looking at. A good piece of branding will hold different properties to a good piece of info-graphics, for example.

Don't worry too much about it though. Nobody ever asked to see it, or what mark I got in my course. Your portfolio is the most important thing.

Unfortunately that's wholly true. I've never been asked to see certificates for any qualification, or any university work written work. It's the creative stuff in your portfolio, and later, the experience on your CV that count.

Saying that though, education is of course worth doing. It's hard to get a design job without a degree (or equivalent) in design (or a related field) and one day someone might bother to check - it wouldn't be good to find out someone hadn't done what they claim.

/Doug

Saying that though, education is of course worth doing. It's hard to get a design job without a degree (or equivalent) in design (or a related field) and one day someone might bother to check - it wouldn't be good to find out someone hadn't done what they claim.

/Doug

That's also true. And if you enjoy the dissertation, so much the better. It takes a long time to do so you may as well get something out of it.

Might also be worth looking at designers that have defied convention and gone against the rules as well, such as David Carson and Jonathan Barnbrook.

Back