Help needed please! Trying to make my vector shape flat, using offset path

wingnut4

Hey

I am in some desperate need for help! I am getting rather frustrated and I'm sure it is something completely simple. I have searched online and nothing seems to work.

So what I have done is I have created these letters using the path tool and shape tool. Then I united them so they were all one. I also tried merging it.

It looks all one until I try and use an offset path on it. Then it totally messes the whole thing up. I can show you what I am trying to achieve but also what it is showing me. The first image below is what is happening, the edges all rough. The 2nd image is the original lettering, and the 3rd image is the effect im trying to create. (But obviously path on the inside)

Any help will be so appreciated!
Capture 3.JPGCapture 2.JPGCapture.JPG

Try making the objects larger before you outline them. I've had issues with Illustrator messing up operations at smaller scales. As a work around, you could also try adding a thick stroke to the shape, converting that to outlines and using that instead of the offset shape.

thank you for your reply. I tried making each letter the size of an A4 page layout and it works abit better but nowhere near perfect, but better than before. This is very strange! you think it would be rather simple! I tried adding thick stroke but the option of converting to outlines wasn't available. Thank you for your help! It doesnt help when I have no designer friends lol

Best way is to add multiple stokes to the same object.

Select object and then go to....

Appearance > Add new stroke

increase the thickness of stroke to desired width and then add another one to create the green surround

You can move the strokes up and down so they sit correctly.

If required to you then expand all the paths as required but this will give a clean stroke/ edge around your letter

No problem! It's a function that a lot of people miss but really useful. Saves having multiple objects on top of each other!

No problem! It's a function that a lot of people miss but really useful. Saves having multiple objects on top of each other!

Hey

Im back to trying this again but for a different project. I am trying to do the same thing, so basically a word with two strokes on it, but I can't seem to get the stroke to go on the outside and it makes the whole thing just smaller. Any ideas? It won't give me the option under stroke to change this (it usually does)

thank you!

Back