Help Needed: Oversaturation on Images

District31

Hi all. I'm being told by my printer that my CMYK print is oversaturated... They are saying:

- Total colours intensity is way too high. It should be lowered to 300% maximum.

They sent me some files to explain, and they told me to use a certain Photoshop "profile" but I've printed out the project with a professional printer and they tell me there are no problems, so can anyone really explain to me what's going on here?

What do you mean by professional printer?

With certain papers there are ink limits or it becomes too saturated.

All this means is that when you have a CMYK image - and it's 100% Cyan 50% Magenta 100% and 70% black

That's 100+50+100+70 = 320%

If the paper, take for example a newspaper, which is quite light, uncoated and pourous - there's no way a paper like that could containe 320% ink - it's more that 220% is a newspaper ink limit.

Other papers would have a higher ink limit which would mean that you can have this combination of inks.

You can view your ink coverage in acrobat http://blog.gilbertconsulting.com/2009/02/viewing-total-ink-coverage.html

Whereas you may have had your image printed before on a different printing press, a different substrate, a different printers! You always need to be mindful of the finishing substrate.

That being said - the printers are being incredibly lazy here, most printers have a RIP setup to convert to the profile that suits the print model they are printing for.

What do you mean by professional printer?

Yes. Thinking about it I mean Prontaprint. LOL... So very different.

Whereas you may have had your image printed before on a different printing press, a different substrate, a different printers! You always need to be mindful of the finishing substrate.

That being said - the printers are being incredibly lazy here, most printers have a RIP setup to convert to the profile that suits the print model they are printing for.

THANKS for this comprehensive message :)

Yes. I've been printing with printers for 30 years and this has never come up. So they've now given me a profile to use which will hopefully resolve any issues they have, but I'm going to follow up on your links and see what I can discover :)

Back