Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help! Need pass4press assistance

Discussion in 'Printing & Print Design Forum:' started by nellipope, Jan 25, 2014.

1. nellipope

nellipope Member

I remember when all you had to do to prepare a file for press was ensure the colour mode was correct, create outlines and embed links. I have been asked by a client to reset some artwork (an advert) for a magazine. The magazine requires the PDF to be formatted to; quote - "Artwork to be supplied in high-resolution PDF. All images within the PDF must be 300dpi images formatted to PPA Pass4press Version 9."

I have been to the PPA website PPA : Pass4press but I really do want to make sure I am creating the file with the correct pre-sets.

Assuming that all I have to do is download and install the preset relevant to my package (Illustrator CC) and use the right Version (according to instructions Version 9)

But herein lies my problem I use Illustrator CC - the presets given only apply to previous versions of Illustrator (CS3 and CS5), also should I use version 10 or version 9? Will there be an issue as I am using the latest version of Illustrator?. I installed both pre-sets in Illustrator and both are now present in my drop down options when Save As PDF.

Are there any other requirements?

Help! I miss having to manually set my options ;-)
  2. andybdesign

andybdesign Active Member

Good morning.

If I was in your situation I would download the "Pass4Press v10 Illustrator CS5" preset and use that when saving your PDF. I think it should still work with CC. It does for CS6, I've just tried.

But if that doesn't work. Save you file as a PDF/X-1a file. This option will be available when you save as a PDF. And make sure your images are at least 300dpi before saving. That should do the job just fine as well.

Hope that helps.
  3. hankscorpio

hankscorpio Moderator Staff Member

There would be no difference in the PDF presets for versions of Illustrator.

They basically didn't update their website.