Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help me choose a phone - iPhone, Desire or X10

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by leepaulvickersdesign, Feb 26, 2011.

1. I'm looking at a new contract and handset and I'm trying to figure out what's best - it's between the iPhone, Desire HD and X10.

I want a solid phone for calls and messages, a decent stills camera for everyday snaps, and it has to work with Mac (iSync for Address Book, iCal etc). That's all.

I like Sony Ericsson, the HTC looks like it does everything, and the iPhone is just that. The plans are all within budget from the various networks so not looking for advice on that front unless you want to share any stories...

So, what shouldn't I get and why?
  2. mrp2049

mrp2049 Senior Member

HTC. Cheaper than the iphone, lets face facts you can pick these up for free in the £35/month contract range easy.

I think the google app platform is far far more open to exploration, and with their cloud OS not to fair away, ok so you need to use memory cards, but I don't see that as a bad thing. You can do a seriously crazy thing that the iphone cant...take the sim card out!

Don't get me wrong the iphone is great, but for me the options and future of Android are the winner.

What am I saying anyway?! I've got a Blackerry!
  3. I love Apple stuff, but after using Sony Ericsson for years there's so much my old K850i Cybershot phone does that the iPhone can't (and vice-versa, granted!)

I was steering towards the HTC anyway. It's not natively compatible with iSync but there are some little apps out there to make it work. It's a helluva device.
  4. Thewholehogg

Thewholehogg Active Member

I'm in the same boat. I'm using a 3G iPhone with £20pm O2 sim.
    I got the handset for free from my old job. Now the iPhone is great and we all love the apps and all that. But. The reception is pretty bad most of the time. Sometimes I carry my VERY old Nokia 3330 with me because it picks up a signal better than the iPhone.
    So, I'm now looking at either trying the T-Mobile/Orange sim only deal, a new iPhone 4 or maybe, just maybe switching to HTC.
    I love Apple stuff to but the signal strength issue is a big problem. I'm also worried about the iSync side of things.

Never had this sort of thing with the Nokia 3330.
  5. Levi

Levi Moderator Staff Member

wait about a month and the new stuff will come out (see the end), we just had the mobile world conference showing all the new shiny phones :)

xperia x10 will be replaced with xperia arc and is basically abandoned hardware, no new updates etc
    desire hd - well that's top of the htc range at present but is bettered by new stuff
    iphone is well the iphone
    you missed off the nexus s which can be had fairly cheap now too and will be the most up to date android device due to having none of the junk customisations that some manufacturers keep adding, still not a bad phone even with the dual cores coming out in a month or so

new stuff coming

dual core exynos (orion) samsung galaxy s II (2) - this is likely what I'll be getting if it can be rooted/custom rom'd as easily as the old galaxy s and it's thin at under 9mm :)
    lg optimus 3d (and another one too)
    xperia arc, and play (playstation phone)
    motorola atrix - tegra 2
    new htc includes the desire s (old desire size screen with internals of desire HD) so single core

Typo- look at business deals too as they sometimes have better option, t-mobile give free voicemail to business users but not to home users - why they charge when no one else does still baffles me.

mrp, some of the newer android phones have as much built in storage as the iphone and can in most cases add an sd card.
  6. Thewholehogg

I'd go straight to the iPhone 4 but am put off with having to spend 200 odd quid for the pleasure of having one.

Anybody want to buy a 3G 8gb iPhone...? works fine.
  7. Levi

you got no 'upgrade' credit or anything?
  8. Thewholehogg

It doesn't matter with Apple. I have a T-Mobile account also and am offered an upgrade for that.
    I have loyalty discounts so I see what the plan is.
    O2 also do an iPhone unlocking service for £15 but it takes 2 weeks for some reason.
    Anybody have any info on this?.
    I did a Jailbreak on my 1st gen iPhone and ran it on T-Mobile.
    As much as the HTC's are tempting I think its gonna be a T-Mobile sim in the unlocked iPhone.
    I'm into the shop tomorrow.
  9. mrp2049

mrp2049 Senior Member

10. Levi

just try shoving a t-mobile sim into the iphone first and then plug into itunes...I kind of remember this unlocking them now there's no exclusive although I could be wrong....

Apple’s Official iPhone 3G Unlock: Apple News, Tips and Reviews might help

mrp - it was usually me versus tim lol, it's either the fact he's not here as much or people have seen the light and know that I was right all along :p
  11. mrp2049

mrp2049 Senior Member

the propaganda has left the building!
  12. Thewholehogg

Sometimes you are correct and sometimes not.
    I think it's up to the educated informed forum member to determine the correct answer.

Where is Tim anyways?
  13. Levi, thanks for the useful info!

The Arc does look sweet, I'm also interested in this one, but it doesn't look supported by Apple's iSync at the moment, whereas the Desire is via SyncMate.

The current crop of Smartphones are lightyears ahead of my old K850, and although dual core phones would be a good upgrade I'm a late-adopter when it comes to technology and wouldn't be able to do the extra power justice. Having a 1ghz single processor makes my head spin as it is!

Like I said in the OP, I don't do too much with a phone; make calls, send texts, snap pics, use it tethered when there's no WiFi and to keep contact info. All the other stuff probably wouldn't get used.

I would wait but I need to decide before 10 March, and before my K850 stops working altogether...
  14. Levi

Android is able to sync via the web using google's gmail etc for most things so you don't really need anything on the computer and you should be able to get stuff to sync apple to google (I'm a windows guy due to my CAD :p)

As to getting your phone, speak to your mobile operator and see when the arc, desire s and hd would be available and see what offers you would be able to get. Sony has a history of not updating where as htc are slow but better although both are supposed to be getting quicker this year.

I'd also say that even though you don't make use of dual core now, you might in the future, I'm the same I doubt I would need dual core but as I don't feel like replacing my phone on a 6 monthly cycle I buy one that will last me :)

As to Tim - no idea actually

and I did put a sticky out tongue at the end of my 'propaganda' :p
  15. I use Apple apps almost exclusively and don't want the hassle of relying on another service for my syncing. At the moment I sync my SE phone with my MacBook via Bluetooth and it's seamless.

Yes, I'll see if I can get a good deal with them, or take my business elsewhere!

It looks like I'll have to take a 24 month contract to keep the handset free and monthly bills in budget. 2 years seems an awfully long time to have a handset when technology improves at an increasingly faster rate! Even 18m is pushing it a bit.
  16. Levi

I don't have an issue with installing one app to sync contacts between g-mail and outlook, my email is set up as imap anyways so it stays on the server and I just configure my email app accordingly. On windows there's software that even lets you sync using wifi (think it's free too) so there are other options out there, I assume os-x has similar software out there.

As to the contracts phone rices are going up (annoyingly) so you either need to pay some up front and then get a shorter contract or take the longer contract to get a decent deal, which in itself is getting harder.

I've even weighed up buying the phone outright and going sim only and it's not that much more expensive overall, it's just the lump sum up front, you do get a totally unlocked phone (some online retailers do this now too) though which is a bonus unlike the 'customised' software you usually get with a 'branded' option :)
  17. I agree - I bought my current phone off fleabay and got a 12m SIM only contract with Vodaphone. I'd love to buy the handset up front and reduce the monthly costs, but the smartphones are just too darn expensive.
  18. Levi

well there is a cheaper option, I even toyed with it (still am but just for fun) but it does require a certain level of geekyness.

You could buy an orange san francisco (100 quid) then go to modaco and follow the instructions on unlocking the sim slot so you can use any provider (it's free), then follow the instructions on rooting and then adding a custom rom to get a better user experience due to having froyo.

Now the phone is not top end but for the money you're paying you're getting a brilliant little phone, although it would be stock android (just about) and you would need to get an app to sync with os-x
  19. Looks interesting... that phone does look pretty good for the money!
  20. Levi

you WILL need to get rid of the orange bloat and ideally flash a froyo rom (modaco r12 or higher would be my suggestion) but after that it's a pretty much stock android phone and you can add on anything you want to add etc.

I can suggest apps if you do want to go that way :)