Help! In need of ideas

Mr J

Hi all! I'm new on here!
I am doing a project at Uni.
The brief basically asks us to pick a piece of text/poem/speech/quote... and display it as a book by using Exprerimental Formats. The Format we choose has to be based upon our opinion of the text.

e.g.
I think the text is wacky and does'nt make sence...therefore i'd make a book with odd pages in it too show it doesn't make sence.

e.g. 2
I think the text is depressing and dark...therefore i'd make a book made out of stone/hard textures... grey dull/ black/dark

I hope this is not too hard to understand. as you can see i need HELP! in making an opinion and choosing an Experimental Format to make the book out of.

This is the text/poem i have chosen:

"Choose Life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family. Choose a ****ing big television, choose washing machines, cars, compact disc players and electrical tin openers. Choose good health, low cholesterol, and dental insurance. Choose fixed interest mortage repayments. Choose a starter home. Choose your friends. Choose leisurewear and matching luggage. Choose a three-piece suite on hire purchase in a range of ****ing fabrics. Choose DIY and wondering who the **** you are on a Sunday morning. Choose sitting on that couch watching mind-numbing, spirit-crushing game shows, stuffing ****ing junk food into your mouth. Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pishing your last in a miserable home, nothing more than an embarrassment to the selfish, ****ed up brats you spawned to replace yourself.
Choose your future.
Choose life."

the quote is about choice and decisions, so i'm looking and thinking about pathways, arrows, direction, circuit boards, etc.

any suggestions??:confused:

As the text is about choice, could you make your book up like one of those origami fortune tellers? We used to make them as kids. You fold paper in a certain way so that different faces open up with different sayings inside. I can't for the life of me remember how you make them.

Perhaps a book with sections that are bound along different edges somehow? So that you chose to open them from one side or the other.

Zoe

Thankyou Thomzo!
thats great!

I like the idea of different edges, but a similar thing has been done in previous projects.
The Oragami sounds cool! I will definitly look into it and put it into my research file.
Just might be the answer i'm looking for.
Very much appreciated :)
x

Individually hand cut felt characters? Nice.

It's positive, optimistic, having freedom of choice. If you're not constrained by ideals or expectations, present it in an unexpected way. How about an unusual substrate medium (it's your choice, after all) :)

I liked the idea about origamy, you may improve it in such a way: mae it in a form of lottery. You may fold the papers and put them into balls with numbers, then put those balls into a container

an unusual medium! That could be interesting! I'm quite liking the whole kiddy, growing up type thing too.
I could go different ways with this. As it is about having freedom i suppose and pathways..etc
and yes i have seen the movie many times! HA x

Ah, but is it about having choice? The text is deeply sarcastic, so maybe it's about falling into the same eat/work/sleep routine that the majority of people these days find themselves in, and ironically the warm, safe feeling that brings - even though it's thoroughly depressing.

I'd stick with 80gsm laid paper set with 12pt Helvetica. Just don't add a blue square at the end ;)

How about doing the whole book as a retail catalogue? So like an Ikea/Argos catalogue with all of the things mentioned, a very literal response to the quote? :)

or if ur allowed, make up a cd cover with different folds and once all folded out have a poster that relates to the poem. even try and see if theirs an mp3 of ewan mcgregor sayin the poem n burn it to disc. or instead of cd cover do an old skool vinly.

Or a restaurant menu?

What would you like sir?....

I like the argos idea, supply a little biro, or pencil with it too.

Or a betting slip with the horses names as life etc. or a racing pages newspaper. You could have the odds etc.

I remember doing similar projects for my degree, and the main point of such briefs is to let your imagination run wild and explore the inner depths of your own thought processing and decision making.

Play around with scrap metal and bits of wood, old books and dont just use text to elaborate a feeling or meaning, maybe use textures

Imagine if Argos had it's own texture or smell?

Yes i am aiming to use interesting materials and textures IainQ, don't know quite what yet though. Until i choose exactly what I'm going to do.

Loving the CD, restaurant menu, betting slip....ideas guys but unfortunately it HAS to be a book. I shall still take these ideas into account for future projects....

THANKS for all your help everyone. You've helped me so much with my research folder.
I'v got to present my research to the lecturer shortly :S
I shall be updating you and uploading my project outcome near late november/early december.

How exciting xx

Back