Help! I'm in a web of responsive + retina confusion. :/

pixellator

I'm a freelance web designer who's starting to get more into responsive website design and design for retina and there are some things that I'm not entirely clear on when it comes to setting up PSDs, particularly with regard to screen size and resolution.

I've been mostly working with already designed PSDs (just helping out by updating their already designed pages) - but as I'm working on more responsive projects I'm finding that each project seems to be different in that some of them are designed at a really high dpi and screen size while others are just a standard 72 dpi ( and I'm presuming are just being saved out / sized up for the developer at 2x (200%)?)

Could someone settle this for me once and for and tell me what the best and most current / correct dimensions AND dpi to set my PSDs up to?

Any help would be super appreciated!

Thank you! :)

this is the biggest 'problem' with responsive design... they don't work with psd's like fixed size sites used to, purely due to them being responsive and thus flexible in their design depending on screen res etc.

I'm not a web designer, although I can do code etc, but I'm pretty sure most of them will agree with this :)

I've just been sent some Photoshop files direct from a well know (fruit based) global technology manufacturer, they're approved assets for an authorized re-seller website I'm working on I need to convert the design to HTML for a marketing page for a new product.

The product is a well know mobile device that has just a very hyped media launch for its latest (6th) version - you get where this comes from, right?

There are 2 versions of the design one for desktop one for mobile

Interestingly the PSDs are set up at 72 dpi and 2048 pixels wide for the desktop and 72 dpi at 640 pixels wide for the mobile version.

So if it's good enough for "them" it should be good enough for "us" to adopt as industry standard.

Thanks to both of you, this is super helpful and makes total sense. :)

@EddyPeck - that's all I needed to know….understood! ;)

Back