Help! Illustrator to PDF is freezing

doricdesign

Hi guys.
I'm wondering if anyone can help. My Illustrator has suddenly done a wobbly on me and suddenly freezes up when I try to save an .ai file to PDF. This never happened before now suddenly non-stop for days. Any ideas? I'm not very tech-literate so if someone could be kind enough to write me a layman's guide to solving this, that'd be amazing.

If you don't mind losing your settings, you can reset your Illustrator files by deleting a preferences file. I'll have a look how when I get two minutes!

That'd be great Tony, thanks! I actually haven't changed much since factory settings so I don't mind that at all :)

Yep, delete your pref's folder and empty the trash.
Illustrator can be a fickle beast.

When you're loading Illy, hold Alt + Ctrl + Shift and it should reset your settings :)

Oh my goodness Squiddy - I've done that and there's nothing now when I open Illustrator. I am being told there are no export filters and it said I'd lost a lot of functions. Any way I can revert to what I had after hitting Alt + Ctrl + Shift??

oh and it still didn't Save as PDF (same freezing problem). I don't have anything - toolbars of any kind, etc...

If you save a file and then restart Illy, it should re-create the setting/preference files and toolbars etc should come back.

doricdesign said:
Thanks Scotty. Where would I find my prefs folder? See what I mean about not being so tech-literate...?
http://www.northlite.net/designorati/illustrator/prefs/prefs.htm
I usually just go to the folder and do it manually.
Not sure about the freezing. Hmmmm?
You'll get your tool box and folders back on by going to the 'Windows' menu and clicking them back on.
Then spend a week trying to put them back how you had them before you eventually give up like me.
I hate Illustrator sometimes.

Yes yes, I was going to suggest that next, the other method just seemed a bit quicker ;)

Back