Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion in 'Introduction Forum:' started by Smobs, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Smobs

Smobs New Member

Hi all, already posted but it's been removed.

I am an experienced graphic and web designer, have been lurking for a while and love the site.

I have a website I think would be of benefit to the users here, and I've searched for the advertising rules etc and can't find any, what are the rules for advertising your own products / services? If anyone can point me in the right direction I'd greatly appreciated it - don't want to get off on the wrong foot :)
  2. Stationery Direct

Stationery Direct Administrator Staff Member

The site is a copy of Fiverr except the fee can be anything, it is only a matter of time before you have idiots on there charging £10 for a logo...and we would not want to be giving anything like this exposure, especially when it is sites like yours that have contributed to how under valued graphic design now seems to be.

You already have people charging £5 for banner design so why would we want any potential customers being diverted from our forum where we have a large number of struggling designer to your website?
  3. Smobs

Smobs New Member

What you say is almost correct, and I do not condone cheap labour and cannot believe how people can charge so little for such work.

However, what sites like mine and fiverr can be good for is anyone that is starting out, looking to build a portfolio and gain experience. There are no upfront costs for advertising, just a commission per sale.

You do get what you pay for with anything in life so anyone paying £5 for a logo should expect £5's worth of work.
  4. Paul Murray

Paul Murray Moderator Staff Member

This still has a knock on effect for the industry. If a select few offer work for £50, people assume that's what it costs and it's hard to convince them otherwise, even when the work on show is clearly poor. I've already seen logo requests on the 'Suggest a Smob' panel.

Plus, having to give 20% of the amount as commission isn't very appealing.
  5. Corrosive

Corrosive Moderator Staff Member

...If only life were actually like that.
  6. Smobs

Smobs New Member

I appreciate the feedback and will take it all on board. I understand why you would not want to promote this kind of site and I know how under valued graphic and web design has become in recent years. We will be focusing more on the fun aspect and hope services are valued appropriately.

Thanks again for the replies.