Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion in 'Introduction Forum:' started by Scott, Feb 13, 2009.

1. Scott

Scott Member

Hi everyone. I'm Scott, a total web geek in Cheltenham, England.

I was shamelessly spammed by Greg to come and take a look at the forums here, and they look pretty cool. The more designers I can surround myself with, the better!

I love to design & develop websites of all shapes and sizes. I'm working for a UK ISP right now doing their in-house websites and marketing stuff. But I'm starting a new job in a few weeks with a much smaller company handling pretty much all of their IT, marketing, websites and online advertising.

In my free time, I also do a bit of freelancing and I've completed a couple of projects. I'm really wanting to up my freelance game so I can earn more money, basically!

Skills include: Photoshop design, HTML, CSS, PHP, Javascript, MySQL, and the abiltiy to learn new things very quickly.

I've recently published my first Facebook application, and it's well over 1000 users strong in the first month. I've also coded front ends to interact with APIs for Twiter, Flickr and Tumblr.

You can take a look at my portfolio here: Scott Freeman - web designer from Cheltenham, England

Well, enough about me!
  2. Greg

Greg Active Member

Hi Scott,

Welcome to Design Forums! Thanks for joining and the comprehensive introduction post, although I'm not sure I agree about the shameless spamming comment :)

Sounds like you have some great experience, I look forward to talking to you around the forums.
    Thanks, Greg
  3. Scott

Scott Member

I'm glad you did - otherwise I may not have found out about this place!
  4. Greg

Greg Active Member

Glad to hear that Scott :)
    So with the new job working for the smaller company, was you just looking for new challenges or does it offer the opportunity to have a bigger impact I assume? Sounds like an exciting time ahead...
  5. Scott

Scott Member

Both really.

In my current role it's very much limited in what I can or can't do with the brand. A lot of people have their own input and the role feels more like an implementor than designer.

The new role has much more scope for my creative talents, along with new challenges associated with not having to report to multiple people with different agendas and ideas.

I'm really excited to get started - and seeing as I'll be the only designer there, I may be calling on community support & feedback (if I'm allowed to do so, obviously).
  6. Greg

Greg Active Member

Excellent sounds like it will have some great opportunities & be a more rewarding role to work in!

Yes of course, you're more than welcome to post your work - will be great to see what you produce in your new position.
  7. Scott

Scott Member

I meant, if my new employer allows me to post upcoming work. :) I shouldn't think it'll be a problem, but some companies are more precious than others, especially in competitive markets.
  8. Greg

Greg Active Member

Ah, yes I see, that makes more sense than what I read that as! :D
    (and if there is an issue we do have a Private Forum section that may be useful - it's only viewable to members, so nothing is indexed by the search engines or viewable by guests)
  9. Scott

Scott Member

The private forum is a GREAT idea. I'm a member of and that's a Google magnet. Whatever you post on there usally hits front page in a day or two - an SEO nightmare if you're getting initial critique on a client's website and happen to mention the client's name.