Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello out there!

Discussion in 'Introduction Forum:' started by Be Key, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Be Key

Be Key Junior Member

Hi all, long time lurker here. Finally decided to register!

I worked as a designer/artworker in a pretty boring/uncreative advertising job for 3 years before being made redundant in October. Have applied for a few jobs since but not been sucessful, there are just so few junior positions out there, which is what im applying for as the experience i have is not broad or from a proper agency and i dont have a degree.

Anyway, im working on getting my software skills up to scratch and developing my style but am now running out of money. I want to work completly freelance eventually so i thought id start trying to get a few small projects now.

Have already learned a lot browsing the forums and will have a lot of of questions to ask in the near future.

For now, im thinking of using the name 'Be Key' for my freelance venture. I dont want to use my own name but this is sort of a play on it (Becky) and i love vintage skeleton keys so would like to have a name where i could incorporate that into my logo. It also stands for the fact that i could 'be key' or important to the client and through the use of my services they could become more key in their industry.

Hope that makes sense, would love your opinions?!!

2. BenJonesDesign

BenJonesDesign Active Member

Hi Becky, welcome to the forum.

Your ideas sound good to go, all you need to do is bring them to life and we will be happy to give you help along the way.
  3. Be Key

Be Key Junior Member

Thanks Ben!

I've spent so long trying to decide on a name, im not getting anything done. I found it really hard, especially as most good names are taken! Think it's time to just pick something and get going with it.

I'll post up logo ideas once im getting somewhere.
  4. Jimlad

Jimlad Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum.
  5. sthomas

sthomas Member

Welcome to the forum Becky

Whatever name you choose for your freelance business, make sure it reads well in a domain name and there aren't any different ways of saying it...

BTW, is still available!
  6. Be Key

Be Key Junior Member

Thanks guys :)

Yeh, thats why im leaning towards this name as it was one of the only ones with a relevant web address available!
  7. Be Key

Be Key Junior Member

Also any advice on getting my own domain and email?

I have no clue about web, i only have a free portolio site atm.
  8. sthomas

sthomas Member

When you purchase a domain name, you'll usually get the name reserved for 1 or 2 years. You'll also need domain space (check that it comes with POP email accounts) to host your website.

A domain will be cheaper than a .com domain address.

I offer hosting and web domains for my clients - PM if you'd like an indication of what I charge
  9. Be Key

Be Key Junior Member

Thanks Designmatic, i may well do that.
  10. Be Key

Be Key Junior Member

Ok so now i'm thinking 'be key' might not be the way to go after thinking about it for a few weeks. Only because when it's said it sounds too much like 'beaky'.

Another option is 'Floriography' (victorian term for codes and messages of flowers).. but im worried it's too complicated a word for people to remember or spell correctly when searching?

Any thoughts?
  11. Thewholehogg

Thewholehogg Active Member

welcome from me too.
  12. Be Key

Be Key Junior Member

Thanks Typo :)
    Any thoughts on the name?!
  13. Thewholehogg

Thewholehogg Active Member

Bee Key....?
  14. WEBIAN

WEBIAN Senior Member

It does. I've learnt more by browsing sites than I did at uni.

I've chosen WEBIAN as nick which means "Web Ian" (My name is Ian).
    that means that I hope to work as a web designer (Does that come across?)
    more often than as a product design critic (which is my main occupation at the moment).

Hope we'll chat soon. I have loads of things to learn too...
  15. WEBIAN

WEBIAN Senior Member

I think bekey sounds good. It makes me think of "be ok".