Hello - I want your designs concepts and will pay for them too !

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigben

Hello,

Firstly excuse me if I am getting this all wrong- I'm not to au fait with these things - my cousin suggested this forum, so if I have got the idea of what this forum is all about, please forgive me.

I work for a 195 year old company that has been making large clocks, and you may have heard of a few of them - does "Big Ben" ring a bell (pardon the pun) ?

A lot of the clocks we make are heritage in appearance i.e. they look Victorian.

Due to demand from our clients, predominantly in emerging markets, we have started to design and produce modern looking clocks that suit modern built environments, corporate lobbies, hotels etc. Now we have our designers working on this, but I wanted to widen the net and see if any body out there has some great new ideas.

The clocks we make are almost always the centre piece of the environment in which they sit, so they need to have a (sorry again) timeless quality to them, and of course they need to be fuctioning in some way (thought we a good at working that bit out)

So basically we are looking to get some sketch concept of ideas for what we we call "kenetic art in the built environment" and we will pay for the ones we like, and if we make the clock we will pay again.

If this sounds like your thing get in touch for more info.

not a good idea for your first post. Anyway welcome to DF.......that's if you are going to stick around.
good luck

welcome to the DF "bigben" I agree with h_freezy.. I hope that this is not spam :(

bigben said:
Now we have our designers working on this, but I wanted to widen the net and see if any body out there has some great new ideas.

So basically we are looking to get some sketch concept of ideas for what we we call "kenetic art in the built environment" and we will pay for the ones we like, and if we make the clock we will pay again.

This is the bit that concerns me. You have in house designers and are asking us to send them our designs before payment - what is there to stop them taking inspiration from our sketches and not using our design.

I come from a product design background and the amount of times that we fed off each others designs was insane, there was never any reference to the other designers when we presented the concepts, and also as the initial idea was not seen the client/original designer is often no wiser.

I'd be quite happy to do some designs for the you but I would want to be taken on with a contract where I get paid for x designs (whether they use them or not) rather than a I work for nothing, you get the inspiration and then maybe I get paid.
I suspect this will never happen as this is post is very much like the current trend of putting out a competition for a corporate identity logo/poster to get a very small prize at the end of it. You get a large source of cheap labour for what is ultimately a costly exercise.
(for the reference of non product designers - concept generation in product design is no different to concept generation for corporate identity and the time frames involved are pretty similar, any of the mechanical development usually comes after the appearance has been approved etc)

And I'll be honest with you, the brief is a little vague in my opinion.

If anybody is interested then finish your "concept" but hand it over in person at their office and get a signed agreement. Also see if you can copyright it.............guess its cheap though!

Any chance of some more info? something im really interested in taking part in...

I'm confused why a reputable company like Dents who use highly regarded Spring as their design agencywants to hawk this around design forums? Are you the Marketing Director at Dents? Do Spring know about this - they are more than capable of doing this. All seems too strange to me. Dents don't seem like a company who would tread this path, unless it's a new path and exercise.
It's all too vague to seem realistic. What are the terms of business? What is the rate? Will there be an purchase order? A credit check? Who are you? Who is your cousin? Why here? What's wrong with agencies that you use? Too surreal for me sorry.

h_freezy said:
If anybody is interested then finish your "concept" but hand it over in person at their office and get a signed agreement. Also see if you can copyright it.............guess its cheap though!

its automatically "copyrighted" from the moment of creation. your thinking of a patent.

Berry said:
I'm confused why a reputable company like Dents who use highly regarded Spring as their design agencywants to hawk this around design forums? Are you the Marketing Director at Dents? Do Spring know about this - they are more than capable of doing this. All seems too strange to me. Dents don't seem like a company who would tread this path, unless it's a new path and exercise.
It's all too vague to seem realistic. What are the terms of business? What is the rate? Will there be an purchase order? A credit check? Who are you? Who is your cousin? Why here? What's wrong with agencies that you use? Too surreal for me sorry.

Exactly what I was thinking after I looked at their site. Credit crunch must have hit the marketing budget hard there ;)

I saw a watch in newcastle city center once, I was in eldon square, the watch was the one worn by lewis hamilton and it costs £300,000 i went in and asked for two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back