Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello from Yorkshire, UK

Discussion in 'Introduction Forum:' started by Robert Stott, Jun 5, 2014.

1. Robert Stott

Robert Stott Member

Hi there,

I'm Rob - a graphic designer turned Mac OS X programmer.

I write software to solve problems faced by my fellow graphic designers including an auto-save function for Illustrator (yes, really!). You can find more info at my website (see below).

I'll be honest, my main reason for joining this forum was to eavesdrop on you guys and hopefully spot a problem or gap in the market that can inspire my next app... whatever that may be. Feel free to approach me with suggestions.

I also enjoy discussing graphic design since that's my background - sure beats the hell out of talking about code!

Rob

2. GilmoreVisuals

GilmoreVisuals Active Member

Welcome :) Apart from the 3 on your site, what other apps have you made?

Robert Stott likes this.
  3. Robert Stott

Robert Stott Member

Hi there,

Not many apps for public usage, I've only really just started with that.

However, I've been making private apps for various design companies for over ten years. Most of my work has been about automating aspects of artwork production in one way or another. The nice thing is that the automatable stuff tends to be the donkey work, not the creative stuff so rather than putting designers out of work, it tends to let them concentrate on the creative stuff they were hired for in the first place. ;-)

GilmoreVisuals likes this.
  4. Tony Hardy

Tony Hardy Guest

Hi Robert - welcome along. I hope you enjoy getting stuck into the discussions!

Robert Stott likes this.
  5. Robert Stott

Robert Stott Member

6. GilmoreVisuals

GilmoreVisuals Active Member

Oh I see. That sounds good tho - I found it can get pretty exciting when you release an app to the public, you never know where it's gonna go! Still, the automated apps can also be very useful, as I'm sure many of your clients have appreciated... time saving and all of that.

7. wac

wac Senior Member

Hi Robert, welcome to the forum. Auto save for Illustrator is a good idea, you should do a Windows version.

Another idea for a plugin is one that lets Photoshop save as an icon format.

GilmoreVisuals likes this.
  8. Robert Stott

Robert Stott Member

Hi wac,

Thanks for the welcome.

I'm not really interested in developing for Windows. It takes me all my time to keep up to speed on the Mac side of things. Windows development is also a bit too labour intensive for a one man band like me.

By 'icon format' do you mean icns (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Icon_Image_format)?

9. scotty

scotty Well-Known Member

Yay! Another Yorkshire lad. :)

I use Illustrator all the time and I have a bit of a love hate relationship with it.
    I love what you can do with it but I hate how it works.

Maybe you can polish a turd.

10. Robert Stott

Robert Stott Member

You can't polish a turd, unfortunately. But if you freeze it you can apply a coat of varnish and optional glitter, I'm told.

11. scotty

scotty Well-Known Member

When you boil it down, that's basically the fundaments of design.

Robert Stott likes this.
  12. wac

wac Senior Member