Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello from London!

Discussion in 'Introduction Forum:' started by Rob Barrett, Oct 30, 2008.

1. Rob Barrett

Rob Barrett Junior Member

Hi all, I just found out about this place this morning.

It's a great looking site, Greg, looks like it's going to grow quickly! I love the logotype's quotation marks, by the way!

Anyway, about me... My name's Rob, and I'm a graphic designer. I started off as a web designer with graphics on the side, back in 2004, and slowly moved myself over towards my preferred field. I've now been working as a freelance designer for 3 years.

I'm pretty much completely self-taught -- I chose to go backpacking instead of going to university, a decision I don't regret in the slightest!

While backpacking, I spent a year living in and around Australia, and since returning to the UK, I've been in Bournemouth, Cardiff, and now London. I reckon I'll be staying put there for a while now. Having just relocated, I'm now on the look out for full-time employment in a design studio (ideally in central London), and I'm also looking into ways to expand my freelance client base.

I'm looking forward to getting to know people in the community here! Catch you later!
  2. Greg

Greg Active Member

Hi Rob,

Welcome to Design Forums, and pleased you've joined :)
    Thanks for your comments on the logo, it seems to have gone down well so far.

What got you started in design Rob? As I know many people head for Uni into a design related course then out in to the world of work. I'd love to travel around Australia, and did consider it during my gap year before University, unfortunately it was something that never materialized, I'm sure I'll get there some day! How was Bournemouth? I've always been under the impression that the creative sector is very popular down that way with the Arts Institute at the University there.

Sorry, I'll stop with all the questions now ;)
    Thanks, Greg
  3. Mike

Mike Senior Member

Hi Rob welcome to the forums:)
  4. mrleesimpson

mrleesimpson Guest

Hey Rob. Welcome!
  5. Rob Barrett

Thanks for the welcome, guys! Sorry for being a little rude with the 'Hello' and then disappearing for a week -- it's been a busy few days, and I kinda lost the address to this forum...

But I found it again, and I'm back! :D
  6. Greg

Greg Active Member

No problems Rob, glad you found it again.
    Welcome back ;)
  7. Rob Barrett

I kind of naturally progressed into it, I suppose. At school, I'd always been interested in the technical side of my art lessons. My first real job was in web design, although there was a lot of scope in that role to expand on the creative side, which I preferred to the pure web design -- I was able to design packaging, posters, etc.

Unfortunately, a year after I joined that company, the business got to the point where all the employers had to be laid off. They decided to keep work coming my way on a freelance basis, and so I was thrust somewhat involuntarily into working for myself. I found that I liked it, and it fitted in with my plans to go travelling, so it continued from there.

In all honesty, I'm not sure how healthy the creative industry is around Bournemouth - like I said, I worked properly there for a year or so, and then moved on out of and around the country. The AIB is great though - throughout my teenage years, I did a number of courses on Animation, Illustration, Photography and Life Drawing there, and loved them all.