Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello Everyone.

Discussion in 'Introduction Forum:' started by joseph, Jan 24, 2014.

1. joseph

joseph New Member

Hi Everyone,
    My name is Joseph; im 17 years old and have been designing websites and graphics for a few years now.
    Have a good day everyone,
    -joseph.

2. GilmoreVisuals

GilmoreVisuals Active Member

Hey Joseph - welcome :)
    Sounds like you started designing very young? Always a good thing.
    I quite like your style although watch out for RT's that might make you look a little unprofessional :p I quote from the latest tweets on your site:

3. Hi Joseph :)
    Welcome to DF! You've got a great website there, although I can't imagine you've made many changes to the default theme layout. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. I think your biggest weakness, regardless of how well you do your website, is your age. Unfortunately you could be the next best designer, but people aren't going to believe it or trust a 17 year old to deliver a professional project. I would have put something more specific but there doesn't appear to be anything on your site saying exactly what it is that you do; graphic design is a big field. I dread to think of the initial reaction if you were to turn up for some sort of meeting in a corporate, or even semi formal business environment with clients.
    It's not so much age discrimination as it is a simple balance of probability. All people are going to see is a 17 year old claiming that he is fully competent in a host of software, that not even some senior designers would feel confident enough to say. So what are the chances that a 17 year old has spent enough time and got enough experience with all of these types of software to deliver a professional project? Very, very slim. I'm not of course implying that you aren't, I'm actually very impressed with what you have presented. You are definitely presenting a much more professional image than many others that are at least twice your age. You have probably heard of the old saying, "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all". And you can apply that to this situation, in the sense that if you don't have anything positive (to be read as something that will encourage potential clients to hire you) then simply say nothing about it and let people draw their own conclusions.
    I mean, it really depends on what you're hoping to achieve with having your own website. If you're looking for graphic design opportunities, then I would probably remove your CV because it has very little to do with graphic design and only serves to exacerbate the issues outlined previously. If you're not overly fussed, and really at 17 you probably shouldn't be, about getting that kind of work in then it doesn't matter. If you're only message is to simply say, Look, I'm 17 and I've done all this! Then you're doing a good job, although from your portfolio I can see that you've used a similar typographic style for a number of your projects; try and maintain a diverse portfolio of work otherwise people will think you're a one trick pony.
    I agree with Alex, I'd leave those type of comments until you're talking with a client that you click with, in a personal setting. You might get a huge project from someone that's a fan of Justin Bieber who chooses not to go with you because of your comments. No matter how unlikely you think the situation, you can apply that to any controversial comments that are publicly available, why limit your opportunities?
    Great to have you around Joseph, I really look forward to seeing how you will engage with the community here.
    P.S. Tunbridge Wells is only about 50 miles away from me! Nice to have a new member from the south!

4. Hey Joseph
    Another warm welcome to the forum.

5. GibbonIt

GibbonIt Member

Welcome, another member from down south!

6. thamesboathire

thamesboathire New Member

Hey Joseph - welcome :)
    I like your passion, and I like this website . However, you look a little unprofessional .