Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello everyone (any help would be appreciated)

Discussion in 'Introduction Forum:' started by @GCarlD, Jan 5, 2013.

1. @GCarlD

@GCarlD Well-Known Member

Hi there,

I am a Graphic Designer and I wish I discovered this forum sooner. As a freelancer, I am always on the look out for work. I have always done a bit of freelance work ever since I was a student many years ago but I decided to focus on freelancing, after being unsuccessful in finding full time employment, for far too long. For several months now I have been struggling to find work. Like many, I am in desperate need of work, I am not fussy, I would be happy with freelance work or full time/part time/any time employment. I just need a job to be frank.

I would really appreciate any help or advice and I am happy to be apart of this community.

Thank you.
  2. Minuteman Press

Minuteman Press Moderator

Have you researched and called at design agencies in your area?

Welcome by the way!

3. @GCarlD

Thank you and yes I've done all that, I do get the odd call from time to time but it seems they do not know the difference between a Graphic Designer and a Web Designer. I am not a web designer, although I can design web templates, I do not know the html code etc. Or they want someone who can do both.
  4. Edge

Edge Active Member

Guess, in order to improve your prospects while you are waiting you could pick up HTML and CSS. We had a graphic designer who was supposed to be learning HTML and CSS but she found one excuse after another not to and in the end we had to let her go as we didn't have enough pure design work for her.

Also, you've requested work, but could do with backing that up with link to blog, portfolio etc.

ARRIVALS Well-Known Member

Hi there, welcome to the forum.
  6. @GCarlD

Hi Thank you
  7. @GCarlD

I do understand what you're saying and it makes perfect sense, it's just HTML is not one of my strengths. I have tried to learn in the past, I studied it for a couple years and even did some work experience at a web design company, I just can't grasp it. It is like learning a new language for me (which I am poor at). My skills lie heavily with design. Graphic design is such a broad profession and it's the versatility that I love about it amongst other things. To me HTML is a whole other breed of animal that is not very friendly with me. And to be honest I think there are a lot of developers that would say the same thing about graphic design, while they may be fantastic at coding, the quality of their design usual lacks. I try to play to my strengths and focus on what I am good at and enjoy, as I know I'll do a good job.

In regards to a link to a blog, portfolio etc. It is great you've mentioned that as I have been meaning to ask. I am very weary about putting my work on the web, I tend to send people my work privately through e-mail, as at least then I know who has my work. On the web, anyone can take my work or idea's and use it as they wish even though it is against the law. It can be difficult to find out who's using your work without your permission. I guess this "fear" of mine so to speak has come from a past experience of having my work online.
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  8. viperdesign

viperdesign Member

EVERYONE needs a website these days, if you don't have one you will be losing business. Simple! Find a nice Wordpress template and drop your artwork portfolio in - no html required. Just do it!
  9. Edge

Edge Active Member

Well I guess they could steal your work but you can watermark it to make it awkward. Thieves tend to be lazy. It's also not likely to have any impact on you even if they do. It's a big world. If you are weary about putting your work on the web then that sounds to me like you're giving up. It's not something I would want to hear as an employer.
  10. @GCarlD

Yes and no. The impact it would have is that they can potentially make money from something that does not belong to them. That may not have a direct impact on me but I certainly don't think that it is fair for my hard work to be making someone else money, while I don't get a penny. It is unprofessional to work for free and it is against the law to use someone's work without their permission, it is stealing. Contrary to this, I have decided to somewhat build my own site: I am just well aware of what can happen.
    If me being cautious about having my work online makes an employer think I am giving up, then that is not the type of employer I'd like to work for. As an employer gets to see your work and they like what they see, that's all that matters. I have never come across an employer that takes into account whether your work is online or not.
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  11. viperdesign

viperdesign Member

So you're having a website but no artwork shown on it? What are the chances some designer is even going to find your website and find a piece of your design to copy - pretty much zero. Don't be daft, take advice when you are given it.
  12. @GCarlD

I'm sorry? When did I say I wasn't having artwork shown on it? I think there is some major confusion here. I have taken on board advice hence why I am building my own site....

I hope this makes things clear.
    Thank you.
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  13. gammerscreative

gammerscreative New Member

I wouldn't call it stealing, more like inspiration. I browse other GDs sites to get inspired when suffering creative block and plonk it in the research bin. I would highly doubt people can steal your portfolio as they should be web quailty PNGs, look good on site but pixelated and crap printed out.

Don't worry, everything is 'stolen' nowadays as everything has been invented. We just keep struggling to reinvent the wheel!