Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello creatives

Discussion in 'Introduction Forum:' started by dasikins, Mar 16, 2013.

1. dasikins

dasikins Member

Or shall I say amazing creatives...
    I am a lame chemical engineer, who picked the wrong major 9 years ago :thumbdown: but was born and bred by an artist, my madre. I practiced off and on drawing and painting primarily with acrylics, while dabbling in my mom's medium of oils.
    What I really love learning is graphic design for any medium. I have reverence and awe for working designers and what you can do, hence why I am here! When I see a design, especially ones I have no idea how they were made, I'm like a kid in a candy shop. So here it my first cheesy statement of the forums: kudos to graphic designers, because I can only dream of creating work like u guys.
    Anyhoo, I am obsessed with my 3 dogs and horse, love to laugh, and white linen candles....
  2. Squiddy

Squiddy Guest

Lame and Chemical Engineer. Not a pairing of phrases I thought I would ever hear! That's a.. real, real job!
    Welcome to the forums though, are you planning to start doing design work yourself?
  3. dasikins

dasikins Member

Whaaat? A real boring job maybe. From what I have heard and read, design agencies (at least small/medium sized ones) are fun, crazy, less structured, and very 'non corporate.' I will have to fill you in on my first and last interview at a design company (as a free intern) someday. Woah...what a wake up call that was :)
    I DID do a lot of design work for a year and a half. I did some simple stuff for friends who couldn't afford to pay anyone, but just as a learning tool for myself. I was pretty good with programming, but loved the design aspect. it was too much trying to do both-let alone someone who needed a logo, which is a whole different beast!
    Basically, I would enjoy learning from others, and practicing for myself and someday start a small business that my fiancé and I would work at. Instead of designing myself, I would hire people though. There are too many great artists out there that would do a much better job then myself.
    Steven Anthony likes this.
  4. Squiddy

Squiddy Guest

I guess boring would be in the eye of the beholder! Even in creative industries like design, you're always going to get companies that make the job monotonous. Some companies see design as a service, something to be churned out at as fast as possible, not really caring about the quality of the work. They will be just as boring as any other type of job!
    Ahh I see, so you're more into programming and that sort of stuff. What languages do you know and do you have any short or long term plans in terms of setting up your business?
  5. dasikins

dasikins Member

Well I wouldn't say I am more into the programming per say, but I do enjoy some of it. My brain enjoys solving puzzles and programming can be very analytical, but then again so can design! I would never apply for a job in programming, but I would try (and I more then likely would never get one) in design.
    I think design is so much harder actually, when you add any subjectivity to the equation, the problem increases. I do have a lot of respect for designers, which I don't think they get enough.
    I know Javascript, PHP, and mySQL; I understand HTML5 and some C++.
    We are in the process of doing the biz now actually. It's a long story, but I will try and contain it.
    We knew we would always start a business, being that's what Bill, my fiancé, is good at. He also loves to code and has a knack for it. After taking a couple years to study the supply and demand, while becoming learning as much as possible, we identified a potential market. I have done a limited amount, minus a few of my friend's small businesses. They don't really count though-they were not looking for anything, I didn't get paid, and used it as a learning tool. When they are ready for the 'real' thing they will hire elsewhere.
    Right now I am just working on small projects to gather a boarder sense of the industry so I can outsource appropriately. I know I will never be a great designer, at least not for a long time. That doesn't mean I won't keep trying! The more I know the easier it will be in hiring some great ones.
    Way more detail then you wanted to hear, ugh, sorry I get so excited about everything. Tell me about Squiddy now....
  6. Squiddy

Squiddy Guest

That's great, it's really nice to see someone so passionate about everything! You certainly seem to know what you want and how to achieve it! I think it's great that you're planning to work with your partner and I think you're lucky to have found someone who has such similar professional interests!
    Well you certainly made the right decision by coming to DF! You'll meet lots of designers and I'm sure any one of us will be happy to help you with anything you need! As for never being a great designer, I think that's entirely up to you! I honestly believe that if you put sufficient time and effort in to something, there are no limits to what you can achieve, especially compared to what you and everyone else thought they could achieve!
    As for me, well you'll find lots of bits and pieces around the forum, but I'll summarise some of it. I'm a freelance graphic designer and (basic) website developer and have been for the past year or so. I studied law, business and English at college (A Levels) for a year and then dropped out to focus on my freelance career, so everything I know about design and development is self-taught. I've been studying it since I was about 14, during school, college full-time and part-time employment.
    Nice to meet you, I hope to see more of you around the forums!
    dasikins likes this.
  7. dasikins

dasikins Member

Go you! That's so inspiring!

I will be around and really enjoy this forum. I won't be much of an asset on the design threads, but maybe I can help the developers.

I am going to check out your work now. Thanks for all your responses and help Squid!
    Steven Anthony likes this.
  8. Steven Anthony

Steven Anthony New Member

Welcome to the Forum! I am still kinda new here to but I hope you enjoy yourself here! I know I am!
    dasikins likes this.
  9. Matt Harle

Matt Harle Guest

Welcome! It sounds like you've had an interesting career so far.
    dasikins likes this.
  10. Tony Hardy

Tony Hardy Guest

Welcome to the forums! :)

There's a lot of monotony as a self-employed designer too. Bookkeeping and accounts = :wacko:.
    dasikins likes this.
  11. dasikins

dasikins Member

Yes I really enjoy this forum, more so then other GD ones. People here seem to be just a tad bit more friendly and helpful.

Ha @TonyHardy, I am probably better at bookkeeping then design. We should trade :)

@MattHarle, yes my careers have been interesting to say the least. Again, IDK where I was in my early 20s.

Is there a thread that describes what everyone does or their experiences? Enough about me, you guys/gals are way more exciting.
  12. Tony Hardy

Tony Hardy Guest

There are a few knocking about I think. Try the General Forum :) or the business forum. Oddly :) If not, I'll make one? Or feel free! :)
  13. Squiddy

Squiddy Guest

Yeah if you want some answers, ask the questions and we'll do our best!