Hello and seeking advice about a graphic design competition

Pretty packet

Hi - I'm new here and soon to start a new business. I'll need the services of a graphic designer (to design the artwork for the product) and wish to choose that person by means of a competition. Ideally, I'd like to pitch it at students at a college or university as part of my product will be the 'back story' about uncovering a new talent. Could anybody give me some advice as to how I can put such a competition in front of a worthwhile number of potential designers?

Whilst I acknowledge your idea of targeting students to hire as your graphic designer, due to your back story uncovering new talent, since this is a new start-up business, would it not be best to hire an experienced graphic designer to ensure everything goes smoothly. You don't get a second chance of a first impression, and while some students have great potential, most still have a long way to go and a lot to learn and experience, in order to make that transition from a creative student producing nice designs to a professional designer producing real life work at a professional standard.

Don't get me wrong i'm all for giving students the best of opportunities, but it is quite a risk for a new business, you would be better off hiring students at a later stage once you are up and running and becoming established. There is only so much a competition can tell you about an individual, while a body of work of real life projects from an experienced designer or an established design agency speaks wonders.

Many thanks - both comments are useful advice. I'm only looking for one piece of work initially - I've got a clear brief but reliant on a designer's creativity. By making it a competition I would hopefully get multiple entries. I'm confident that I'll know the winning entry as soon as I see it, whereas working with a single designer I am limited to one person's set of ideas. Financially, the cost of a competition prize versus an established designer's rates are similar in my view, and I certainly don't expect something for nothing.

Which colleges/universities should I target and what's the best avenue into the right group of people?

Many thanks - both comments are useful advice. I'm only looking for one piece of work initially - I've got a clear brief but reliant on a designer's creativity. By making it a competition I would hopefully get multiple entries. I'm confident that I'll know the winning entry as soon as I see it, whereas working with a single designer I am limited to one person's set of ideas. Financially, the cost of a competition prize versus an established designer's rates are similar in my view, and I certainly don't expect something for nothing.

Which colleges/universities should I target and what's the best avenue into the right group of people?

Local colleges and universities. Approach the head of the department with your plan and what your prizes are and see if they're game.

We often designed pieces for people who worked in the college when we were learning design, it's a great way to get real life experience, and push yourself to design better than the person next to you.

I'd consider approaching an experienced designer/artworker with this, especially as it's an artwork brief rather than just a design. A student may seem like a cheaper option, but you may find you're paying out again because they don't fully grasp what's required of them, especially if the packaging requires bespoke cutting, folding and finishing. A student may not have experience of this, but you never know, you could get lucky.

Another option would be to approach design tutors/lecturers and ask them to recommend a student or too that they feel has the skills and mindset required. Look through their portfolios and approach them as you would an established designer. This may be a shot in the dark though–*on a large university course there's a chance the tutors have a limited knowledge of the majority of the student's work, though the best may stand out.

We have been running a similar competition and found that many course tutors at universities and colleges have been more than happy to have extra projects to boost their students portfolios. Approaching them via email or phone could be the best way to do this.

Back