Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello all :)

Discussion in 'Introduction Forum:' started by BarryClem, Jan 2, 2013.

1. BarryClem

BarryClem New Member

Hello to everyone.

My name is Barry, I am 26 and I live in Swindon, Wiltshire. I currently work as a qualified Insurance Broker for a company called Towergate.

I have been playing around on photoshop for many years now but I have only been producing things like forum signatures and the odd flyer here and there.

What are your experiences and what is the industry like for someone looking to break in as an intermediate user. Do many people use Photoshop or other software like PSP/Illustrator?

Thank you for taking the time to look at my post and I look forward to being part of this forum.

Thanks.

2. Corrosive

Corrosive Moderator Staff Member

Hi Barry, I know Towergate from a previous life working for RAC Legal Services, welcome to the forum.

3. BarryClem

BarryClem New Member

Hi Corrosive,

Thank you for your reply. Yes I am well aware of RAC Legal Services (was the old office in the Aztec business park?).

4. Corrosive

I was in the 'mothership' building in Bradley Stoke - the one you can see on the M4/M5 interchange and just the other side of the A38 from Aztec Business Park.

5. BarryClem

BarryClem New Member

Ah yes I know which one you mean! :)

Is there any advice on the forum about potential careers in graphic design? or on any college/home learning courses I could take?

6. RiseResolution

RiseResolution New Member

(Sorry to jump in) but it's a welcome from me too, Barry.

As far as your designing goes, it sounds like you have a good attitude and are a capable individual so I have no doubt that if you stick at it its within your reach :)

I am looking forward to seeing your work and hearing more from you!

7. BarryClem

BarryClem New Member

Hi Rise, thanks for your reply! It is encouraging to speak with people who are in to the graphic design side of things! I feel however that due to lack of experience and qualifications, breaking in to the market would be difficult?

8. Corrosive

I taught myself web development whilst working full-time at RAC and started to build up a client base from there. Once I had enough work I left RAC to 'go it alone' and haven't looked back since. OK, it is really hard work but ultimately rewarding. I'm not sure a design agency would look at you with no qualifications though. I did try a couple when I started learning to see what the options were and was basically told no way so perhaps think along the lines of your own business and building up some regular clients from there.

9. RiseResolution

RiseResolution New Member

I wouldn't worry too much about 'breaking into the market' just yet. It's ok to think ahead but focus on yourself and your skills and getting yourself to the point where you are capable of 'breaking into the market'. You have to build a ship before you can make the voyage :)

I am actually now trying to 'break into the market' myself, with my web development company Rise Resolution (check out my website and like us on facebook :icon_wink:). I have been working on it for a long time so fingers crossed.

Believe in yourself, take a systematic approach, don't be afraid of failure, and never give up. This is my 4 step plan for success that I came up with a year or so ago; and if you were to compare my life then to my life now, you wouldn't believe the difference. And it is still such early days!!

Remember that anything is possible and as long as you believe in yourself, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

I can't really give you any specific advice regarding graphic design because I am not really a graphic designer... I am a software engineer who has learned some graphic design along the way, both because I enjoy it so much and also out of necessity to support my web development software. I can do the design part of it but the graphics part... doesn't come so naturally!

10. ARRIVALS

ARRIVALS Well-Known Member

Hi there, welcome to the forum.