Hello! Advice Please

mirixsz

Hi everyone,

My name is Miriam, I’m 26 and I come from Spain. I am writing on this forum looking for advice from creative professionals on how to become one without prior experience in this sector.

I count on a BA and a couple of years of work experience in something completely unrelated to graphic design. Fine arts and design have always been my passion and I have until now been learning by myself as a hobby. However, after careful thinking (focusing on what I would love to become instead of what others expect from me), I am now considering filling my gaps in skills and knowledge in order to become a professional graphic designer.

Since my current job grants me plenty of free time, I thought I could start developing my skills online for one or two years. For this reason, it would be great if you could give me any advice on where to start from and how to develop: formal or informal education? online courses? online BA or a Master in graphic design? do you know of any affordable universities with such degrees and known for their quality education?

Many thanks in advance,

Miriam

Hey Miriam,

Welcome to GDF.
I hope you don't mind but I've moved your post to the "Universities and Traning" part of the forum as I think you'll get more of a response there.

This has been asked before in threads like this one so it may be worth having a quick look through that part of the forum to see what advice has been given to others.

There isn't one, short answer and a lot depends on you really and how motivated you are to break into design professionally and what obstacles you can overcome.

I'm in the UK and don't have much knowledge of the Spanish education system and how qualifications are perceived but I guess the options are:

1. Study design formally at either university, college or online courses like Shillington provide.
You will learn a lot and have a formal qualification but this is a large investment of both money and time.
A qualification will not open the door on it own.

2. Teach yourself.
These days there is a wealth of knowledge that is easily and freely accessible on the web plus very affordable sites like Lynda.com and Skillshare.
You will not gain a formal qualification but if you can build a great folio and skill set then this can speak louder.
Set yourself projects to learn from and build a folio from these as you go.

3. Combine the above.
Maybe enrol on a more basic, part time college course to learn the fundamentals and gain a more modest qualification whilst doing a number 2 (sorry for the pun, I couldn't help it). ;)

Thing is, it's down to you personally and what you can afford and how much you want to succeed.

Personally, I spent three years at college but I'm mostly self taught.
You are ONLY 26 years old.
I am in my late 40's and I'm teaching myself After Effects, animation and motion design right now.
If you don't mind investing a lot of your free time you can go a long way.

If you are determined and have a passion for Design then you can succeed and I wish you all the best.

Back