HDCR logo critique

Which logo design do you feel is the best?

• Total voters

codie1991

Hi there all, this is my first post here and hopefully there will be many more to come.

I have been re-designing my step fathers company logo. He rents out professional camera equipment and crews for work, or himself. I have come down to 3 designs that I would like your opinions on (these are by no means finals, just developed concepts).

The old logo can be found at www.hdcamerarentals.co.nz and doesn't really suffice for a logo as this is the onlly place he has a logo.

This new logo will be used for a new website, business card, and stickers for the camera pelican cases.

Please be as critical as possible!

Cheer's

Attachments

• HDCR final 3 logos.jpg
    HDCR final 3 logos.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 57
None really speak "camera" to me. Without the tagline, those logos could be for anything.

Saying that, the 3rd logo (with the HDCR cut out) is perhaps my favourite simply because it feels more like a TV station logo, which could lead on to camera equipment.

I've done a quick Google for HD Camera Rentals - and you know what? I've not seen one strong logo yet! So I can't link to any good examples. :( Perhaps this is the time to smash the market with a memorable logo! ;)

Hi codie,

Welcome to Design Forums :)
I completely agree with Scott's reply above, the logos don't really communicate anything about the business or it's unique selling points. I would personally try and look at some photgrapher's logos, there's some amazing ones around and you might get some inspiration on how you can combine subtle references to the equipment within the logo.

As a very quick idea, I thought that with logo 3 you could easily adapt this to be like a movie style clapper board, this would then suggest that with the rentals of the HD equipment you can start your own film project, like 'lights, camera, action' kind of thinking. You could even work a slogan around that to go with it... 'lights, HD Camera rental, action' or similar.

Hope that helps in giving you some inspiration :)
Thanks, Greg

Cheers guys, very glad your catching onto the TV channel logo idea.

Yes currently there isn't anything outstanding in this niche market which in a way makes my job slightly harder and easier.

Will give the clappers idea ago and post that on here later on tonight, might find some down time in school.

Cheers.

I like the first one, due to the fact that it seems to be the 'correct' name. When I see the name HD Camera Rentals, I think HD is the company name and camera rentals is a description of what they do. If you turn it into HDCR I have the feeling that you change the company name.

But maybe the HD stands for High Definition, and in that case there is an 'official' (it's not official but it's just commonly used by technology engineers) HD logo (http://www.pioneer.co.uk/images/uk/HDready.jpg) which you could implement.

Onartis said:
I like the first one, due to the fact that it seems to be the 'correct' name. When I see the name HD Camera Rentals, I think HD is the company name and camera rentals is a description of what they do. If you turn it into HDCR I have the feeling that you change the company name.

^ That's a good point Onartis :) with the logos that feature HDCR and the text 'Camera Rentals' it's almost like the CR is repeated as the abbreviation and within the text.

Look forward to seeing how the logos develop for you Codie :up:
Greg

Having lived and worked in New Zealand, i think you could easily get away with the 3rd design :) it has the right feel to it for the New Zealand market.

Sorry, they don't do it for me. Could be anything, or any company. Not they HAVE to have some photography connection...... They are nice.....but don't really go anywhere. Try harder. Never be precious to ideas, throw them away and a better one will come.

Love New Zealand tho! Tho unlike Chris don't know the market over there. Heh, we (I ) could be completely wrong. It's subjective anyway.....

Thanks guys actually am quite sick currently so no update yet, maybe tomorrow if I take it slow.

As for the logo fitting into the market in NZ, I feel it fits well however the fact is this logo will be for the international crowd too. I will give it ago with the clappers and might try working around a few more ideas with the first logo too, an array of lights or camera connecting to the circle possibly.

Will post some ideas when I have a little more colour in my face ;)

Okay so still not at my physical best however I doodled around a tad and came up with this idea. It utilizes the companies full name, a closer match to the real HD logo (Avant Garde Gothic Oblique) and brings in the clappers idea.

Opinions?

HDCR_concept_4_by_Codiew.png

Much better than the first ones in my opinion mate, but the clapper is looking a bit weird to me, i think its because it has rounded corners and doesn't fit with the HD part.

What about if you follow the angle of the H and have the clapper starting there, as if its hinged on the H, hard to explain but so its like this (attached)

So it follows the H properly

Attachments

• HDCR_concept.png
    HDCR_concept.png
    5.4 KB · Views: 3
Back