Hatch/Cross Hatch Style

Decker

Looking to start doing some hatch shading. I'm trying to emulate this style:
Hatch2.jpg
The line variation makes me think a tablet was used. But the consistency of the angle would be REALLY tough to do. While the faces might be hand drawn and scanned in, I think the lines were added after.

What's the most effective way to achieve this result. I really want the thin - thick - thin type of hatched line.

Are there any brush packs out there you think would do the trick? I did run aross this one but from the preview it looks like the hatchings are way more distressed than what I'm looking for.

The style is known as "engraved/engraving" or some refer to it as "bank note".

Believe me, it's a killer to do by hand and very laborious.

The best and easiest way too achieve it is to get an image and either put some filters on it in Ps or use a program specially for the purpose.

There are some tutorials out there on how to do it in Ps and there's one on the SpoonGraphics site (search "bank note") or there is a bit of stand alone software called Engraver III which works in vectors and it's pretty awesome and you can get loads of different effects.

You used to be able to get a full trial version of Engraver III for free but it puts a watermark over the end result but as it works in in vectors and exports to .PDF you can remove that in Illustrator very easily by releasing the clipping mask and ungrouping it. ;)

Oops!

Got it a bit wrong.
Engraver III is a Ps plug-in but you can image trace the result in Ai if you work at a high enough res.

The vector one is called Vectoraster.

It does vector half-tones but also that engraved effect you're looking for.

Vectoraster looks like it might be what I'm loking for. Do you think the original artist used something similar?

And I LOVE Spoon Graphics blog :)

Vectoraster looks like it might be what I'm loking for. Do you think the original artist used something similar?

And I LOVE Spoon Graphics blog :)

Hard to say as you can get that effect using Ps and filters or the Engraver III plug-in.
Thing with Vectoraster is that it does it in vectors and they're perfect geometry although I think you can roughen them up in the settings.

The halftones it makes are perfect circles unlike other methods where they're all blobby like.

Back