Has the internet been good for graphic design?

Byron

Hey guys,

I’m a third year student studying a BA Hons in Graphic Design and am working on a study into how the Internet has impacted on graphic design and designers.

It is clear that since the advent of the Internet graphic designers have had to extend their range of skills. Designing digitally for an online audience is now an important part of a graphic designer’s role.

But is this good or bad news? Has graphic design been diminished or enhanced by the web?

In this study I’m asking graphic designers what they think? I want your opinions about whether the opportunity for the general public to create a pop up website has taken away the skills and creativity of the graphic designer? Or is it just a case of giving everybody a chance?

I would appreciate it if you could take 5 minutes to fill out my survey, it's only 10 questions...

Here is the link to the survey:

Has the internet been good for graphic design/designers?

Thanks for your time.

Regards

Byron Rawlings

why the double post? anyway welcome to DF! I think internet has been the best thing that has happend since the launch of microsoft windows

good thing - broaden our horizons, scope of clients we can work with, created instant communication, improved work rate, better criticism from better designers, available help and advice network has broadened (just look at this board)

bad thing: work ripping - whilst this probably happened before, it is so much easier for people to hide behind a computer screen all you need do is look at a site like this http://youthoughtwewouldntnotice.com/blog3/
There has been a cheapening of designers, because of the 'myspace designer' generation and cheap freelancing competition sites.

Byron said:
Cheers for your imput mrp2049,

The link you gave has some good examples!!!

there are thousands more, litterally thousands more. There is a weird acceptance in the tshirt design community that you know you have arrived as a designer when your work is being ripped off and badly printed in Indonesia.

Yeah, I was in Thailand for a month and you see it all the time in Bangkok... Selling t-shirts that would cost £25 here and they are selling them for £2.

Thanks again.... maybe you could fill in my survey? its only 10 questions (multiple choice)

Byron said:
Yeah, I was in Thailand for a month and you see it all the time in Bangkok... Selling t-shirts that would cost £25 here and they are selling them for £2.

Thanks again.... maybe you could fill in my survey? its only 10 questions (multiple choice)

I've seen them too, however they are not selling the shirts. I have seen pyknic rips from thailand, I would rather spend the £20 on the real deal, knowing the quality of the print and shirt.

me too, I wouldn't even buy the fake ones! they probably wouldn't even last the plane home haha

interesting questionnaire, alot of the questions are very relevant, but i still think quality and skill will always rise above so even though there can be an over reliance on computers, and the advent of the internet has changed the world (never mind just the world of design), and the appearance of 'do it yourself' web design companies has made many people think they are designers, i still believe people can see when real quality work has been produced by a skilled designer. All the other things are merely shortcuts or tools, it takes a real skilled designer to know how to use them and that normally shines through in the end.
________
Couples Webcam

Thanks davewill,

You have some interesting thoughts. I really appreciate and value your time and help. Your blog is good, some interesting uses of ambient media - i am currently working on a D&AD brief for lastminute.com.

Thanks again!

Back