Has Branding Become B-O-R-I-N-G?

Levi

Staff member
Blame it on the current generation we live in.... people get offended far too easily about nothing in most cases.

Paul Murray

Staff member
"It felt like designing a funeral director’s logo in Comic Sans. It didn’t sit quite right, but we knew we had to get out of our comfort zone and have some fun."

It reminds me of quote from Paul Arden where he says putting an advert for a motorbike in a women's fashion magazine, or an advert for lingerie in a biker magazine might not be as crazy as it sounds. Standing out is basically just subverting expectations. It's that easy and it's that hard.

I have a client that's quite keen to follow trends in their industry, and another who desparately wants to avoid being lumped in with their competitors. The latter is more of a challenge to design for but the work is always better and more enjoyable to produce.

scotty

Staff member
Couldn't agree more!

I see loads of articles on design sites about how some big company has micro adjusted its logo and there are huge debates about it.
Like it matters?

I've all but stopped doing branding work as it's become SO... F@CKING... DULL. :(

A while back when the whole hipster thing got popular I did have some hope but then there were just a stream of almost identical variants on the same algorithm.
A diagonal cross/x. Same typeface. Maybe a beard or a hatchet if you're lucky.
Like with the clothes.
They're all being "so different" by dressing the same?

It seems to be a similar thing with music too.

It's strange to be from a generation where we pity our kids for being so uninspired.

Paul Murray

Staff member
Schools don't seem to foster creativity all that much any more. Even when I was in school, doing something creative for a job wasn't something you thought you could ever achieve. Hell, nobody actually told me I could be doing what I do for a living, I didn't even know graphic design was an optionuntil I was in my 20s, and even then my parent's wanted me to try and get 'a real job'.

I know someone who was made redundant as a technology teacher because the school just cut design and technology subjects completely from their curriculum. Now she's teaching kids via our hackspace and they're absolutely amazed at what they can do with so little thanks to thing like Arduino's, Raspberry Pi's and a little bit of code. Even I'm impressed at times and get bursts of inspiration.

scotty

Staff member
Schools don't seem to foster creativity all that much any more. Even when I was in school, doing something creative for a job wasn't something you thought you could ever achieve. Hell, nobody actually told me I could be doing what I do for a living, I didn't even know graphic design was an optionuntil I was in my 20s, and even then my parent's wanted me to try and get 'a real job'.

I know someone who was made redundant as a technology teacher because the school just cut design and technology subjects completely from their curriculum. Now she's teaching kids via our hackspace and they're absolutely amazed at what they can do with so little thanks to thing like Arduino's, Raspberry Pi's and a little bit of code. Even I'm impressed at times and get bursts of inspiration.
I was recently at one of my boy's secondary schools and the head was speaking about how they're pressured into taking creative subjects off the curriculum and how they refuse to do so.
Not great to hear but glad his school is taking a stance. :(

Showing my age now but when I left school in the height of recession we were taught how to go and sign on. :O
I tried and failed to get on two YTS courses as a Painter and Decorator and then a Labourer with the local council so I went to a careers fair and got on a course doing art & design.

Knowing how hard it can be to work in design, I've never encouraged my kids to go that way but it seems they are.
One's studying Multimedia Design and the other wants to go into film.

There's no hope. ;)