Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Happy New Year And Ting

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by charles, Jan 4, 2010.

1. charles

charles Senior Member

Did everyone have a good christmas and new year?
  2. tim

tim Senior Member

i certainly did/didnt.

i got paid (yaaay), but i couldnt get significantly drunk because of work (meeehh).

how was yours, charles charles?
  3. glenwheeler

glenwheeler Senior Member

Yeah was wicked man! You Mate?
  4. tim

tim Senior Member

i thought charles was black.

his gangsta lingo was actually a massive front!
  5. charles

charles Senior Member

mine was good thanks, Haven't been on here in ages!

I'm going mac in April for sure, I'm either going for a 13" MBP and a 27" iMac (2.6 quad) with a time machine central storage or a 17" MBP with a 24" cinema display

I will be using it for photoshop and a bit of flash, no video editing.
    and I quite like the idea of my mac book is bigger than yours feeling when in a coffee shop... so leaning toward the 17" option.

What to do?
  6. Tony

Tony Member

Lol at the 'and ting'.

My NYE/NY night was ****e.

Onwards and upwards...

If you need to buy a big mac then option 2. You wouldn't be compensating though would you ;)
  7. tim

tim Senior Member

if you're porting around the 17" laptops, you're ****ed for easy storage in your bag.

reason i didnt go for it, not because it was more expensive, but because i'd just feel restricted- a laptop would be more like a desktop machine.

saying that, if you really wanna go for it, do it, but 15.4" isnt a bad size and is still quite portable.

i think the 17" is 2.8kg and the 15" is 2.45kg- nothing to worry about, it's just the width that will get in the way.

loving the fact you're going quad-core for photoshop and flash though man! :p

i'm on 2.53ghz and it kicks illustrator and photoshops asses, so personally i dont think you'd ever get to full capability of the machine, which i guess is just a waste of money unless it's gonna be legit in 10 years...?

tbh the second option sounds better to me, but i'd personally go for a macbook 15" and a 24" display- then you can afford the other goodies too like applecare or remotes or even money for itunes :p

the 24" display is the same quality as the mbp screens and you could use it as a desktop by connecting them up, turning the macbook pro on and closing it up then moving the mouse (which wakes the mbp up from sleep mode and makes it project out to the display)

i guess that in itself could replace the imac, then again you obviously dont get same screen quality between the two, but it's way cheaper!

if i was sticking along the same lines as you are, here's what i'd get:

option 1:
    macbook pro 13" - starting spec + £81 for 4gb ram
    imac 27" - starting spec (which still kicks some serious behind)
    time capsule if wanted, it's good value for money, plus you can share out a usb printer.
    the other option was an external hard drive plugged into airport extreme, but that wouldnt necessarily work plus it works as about the same price.

you'd look at £2,611.01

whereas your initial solution would be: £2867.01

for the extra £250 you'd just get power you wouldnt use with flash/photoshop in the quad-core imac.

applecare is gonna be way expensive on these items, that's all im thinking, plus you'd need 2 licences for cs3/cs4, so it's obviously gonna be way more expensive.

option 2:
    macbook pro 15" - 2.53ghz 4gb ram 320gb hd @7200rpm
    24" display
    magic mouse + keyboard
    apple care

you'd look at £2,338

whereas your initial solution would be: £2,538 (that's without applecare, wireless keyboard or wireless mouse)

i guess £200 difference isnt a gob-smackingly amazing amount though, so as i've said before (i think), if 17" is something you're more comfortable with, get it.

why am i even replying? :p

end of the day what do you feel most comfortable with?

do you see yourself out a lot using your laptop more than in your own house?

if not, you'll pretty much always be connected to your external display so dont need the extra screen size, but if so, and 15" or 17" is better in your head to work with, then it'll cost you a bit more but i guess it'll be much easier to work on
  8. charles

charles Senior Member

lol thanks for the reply timbo,

i want 17" really as fed up with small screen laptops.

I was planning on using 24" cinema display with 17" but as an extended desktop like you would with a pc?

other option was to get a macbook air or 13" mbp and 27" imac which i understand can also be used as an external display for mbp...

just cant decide what to do.

cost is not a massive issue if were talkin a few hundred difference.
  9. tim

tim Senior Member

thought so.

will you really ever use 2 macs? it'll be a pain, you'll have to buy two licences for the same software to use the same files on both.

i'd hang about for cinema display, is all im saying.
  10. charles

charles Senior Member

u reckon they'll release a 27" cinema display?
  11. tim

tim Senior Member

i dont speculate :)
  12. Anon.

Anon. Senior Member

If you decide to go with the 27" iMac I'd place your order now, might be in with a chance of getting it by April then :lol:

Sorry that's not very helpful, i'm just a tad frustrated that I ordered mine over a month ago and i'm still no closer to getting it :cry:

Other than that, I had a good Christmas and new year. Managed to do some snowboarding in the Welsh hills and it looks like I'll be doing some more this weekend :clap:
  13. tim

tim Senior Member

there are some real problems right now...
  14. Anon.

Anon. Senior Member

Yeah I know, don’t get wrong I’d rather wait and have a faultless machine but at the same time I’ve got a very big project lined up (which is a good start to the year :) ) but the client won’t wait around forever so that’s the frustrating part.

Do you know anything you can share about the situation Tim?
  15. sarah

sarah Member

It's amazing how quickly off-topic everything gets ;)

I had a wicked Xmas and New Year. Really sad it;s over so quickly and that the snow saved itself for before and after Christmas day!! Arghh, we had beautiful snow on the ground on Xmas eve and literally every single speck had melted away by the next day. We are not destined to have a white Xmas!
  16. Anon.

Anon. Senior Member

I think I'm keeping it on the edge of on topic / off topic :p
  17. sarah

sarah Member

ha ha, ok i'll let you off..
  18. Anon.

Anon. Senior Member

so kind, you must still be in the festive spirit (xmas)
  19. allyally2k

allyally2k Senior Member

It always goes too quick i liked getting up at 9.30 every morning and watching films all day! We had snow for 3 weeks hasn't really ever melted even on xmas day...(snow)
  20. Jimlad

Jimlad Well-Known Member

'Hear me now' fantastic new year and all that over here.