Hand Code or Dreamweaver?

How do you code your websites?

• Hand Code (Notepad++, etc.)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dreamweaver (or other WYSIWG software)

Votes: 12 100.0%

• Total voters

HippySunshine

....manually write code anymore?

I do a hell of a lot and just wondered if anyone else does and what peoples opinions on this were or do they prefer to use dreamweaver (not just because its easier)

Discuss! x

use either notepad++ or Smultron to make websites, don't use Dreamweaver.. found it makes dirty code for PHP from time to time.. it is getting better though :)

but thats how I do things :)

Coda is cool too Timbo :) Smultron is the free version of Coda :D works in sync with CyberDuck :D

On the websites I've made for myself I usually transfer my design into golive via wysiwyg and then go in and tidy up the code etc as its not always the neatest and it often needs adjusting to suit w3c validation (which I'm now doing properly) :).

Levi said:
…adjusting to suit w3c validation (which I'm now doing properly) :).

Validation doesn't mean good code though.

Always hand code. The moment you use a WYSIWYG editor you're handing over all control of the code to a machine which doesn't understand the reasoning behind semantic and accessible decisions. Using anything other than hand code is bad.

I used to use dreamweaver, still do occasionally only in code view as a text editor basically - the preview is misleading & it's built in js is rubbish. I use smultron a fair bit and have tried coda which I really liked but not got around to buying it.

Harry said:
Validation doesn't mean good code though.
true but its a start and atleast it should work in most browsers :)

Always hand code. The moment you use a WYSIWYG editor you're handing over all control of the code to a machine which doesn't understand the reasoning behind semantic and accessible decisions. Using anything other than hand code is bad.

I've never learnt how to do coding, as web design isn't my chosen field of design (thats 3D) so for me to hand code a site would take me far longer than they already do (I'm not that quick as is). I may look at the basics at some point but for my limited requirements it does me fairly well :angel:

tbwcf said:
I used to use dreamweaver, still do occasionally only in code view as a text editor basically - the preview is misleading & it's built in js is rubbish. I use smultron a fair bit and have tried coda which I really liked but not got around to buying it.

DW's code view isn't too bad. The auto complete comes in handy. I rarely use it though.

Levi said:
true but its a start and atleast it should work in most browsers :)

Not true I'm afraid. Validation is just one of many many factors that determine cross browser compatibility.

Levi said:
I've never learnt how to do coding, as web design isn't my chosen field of design (thats 3D) so for me to hand code a site would take me far longer than they already do (I'm not that quick as is). I may look at the basics at some point but for my limited requirements it does me fairly well :angel:

That's a fair point. It's my chosen fiend, hence my undying passion for standards haha. I guess it's different for people who don't do it as a profession.

Harry, do you feel web dev (coding xhtml / html / css / php ) to be a viable profession to begin over something such as web design or print design :D

You seem the man in the know.

Definitely. That's what I do. I'm a web developer by profession, meaning I have a thorough knowledge of semantics, accessibility etc but I still get to delve into design a lot. Web development is just a more specific branch of the web design field. Think of it as designing with code :D

I'm a guy who knows how to design, and knows what works and what doesn't, but I don't have bundles of creativity. Web dev suits me down to the ground in that respect. I work with usability and design, but a lot of building too.

Sounds pretty much exactly what I would love to do. ha-ha, coding wasn't what I wanted to do as I felt that I would slowly get more and more of a hatred for it. But with design being part of it I could make things more interesting and learning being more fun.

I already have a solid grounding with html / css / php, semantics + usability + other similar things. But as with everything there is so much room for improvement.

Harry said:
DW's code view isn't too bad. The auto complete comes in handy. I rarely use it though.

I always have discussions with people about this in work. Some of my colleagues always use DW's code view. I hate when I have to make amends to their sites cause they never use shorthand properties, but just what DW auto completion puts in and the code is 3 times as big! This should prob. go in 'The Angry Thread' instead. :D

So as you can probably guess I'm all for hand coding and prefer Notepad++. :)

renniks said:
Sounds pretty much exactly what I would love to do. ha-ha, coding wasn't what I wanted to do as I felt that I would slowly get more and more of a hatred for it. But with design being part of it I could make things more interesting and learning being more fun.

I already have a solid grounding with html / css / php, semantics + usability + other similar things. But as with everything there is so much room for improvement.

Same here mate, but you find as it changes, you change. It will never get boring. Even if the languages themselves aren't changing (i.e. HTML4 changing to HTML5) you'll change the way you code it. You find smarter, more efficient ways to do things. It's all good fun.

So whats the best route to get started as a developer?

(feels like I'm asking 21 questions now)

As in, would it better to just create a tonne of sites for a portfolio (I have 4 or 5 sites I want completed for different means) and then freelance myself out for designers to use as a developer.

Or would it be better to try and find a designer to work in cohorts with? Or do both basic design + impressive development all on my own?

Or find an agency? Or is it completely personal and I have to attempt to find my own way ? (if this is your answer, how did you manage it just for knowledge haha)

Didnt realise you weren't an old man harry :D

Harrys an old man like the rest of us.. all bitter and full of hatred for Comic Sans :lol:

Back