Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gutted, looks like Im gona be out of a job...

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by davewill, Feb 10, 2010.

1. davewill

davewill Senior Member

Just been warned in work that there will be an announcement in work later today about the future, the words redundant and administrators have been whispered too.
    Its been a bit like playing for portsmouth recently in work with paychecks being late and projects drying up so if anyone has need of a graphic designer/illustrator in the north west, please feel free to get in touch.
  2. Hi Dave :( that sucks mate :( I know the feeling my last place was like that before I left, found out from a mate of mine who was still working there that the place is now in administration :eek:
  3. davewill

davewill Senior Member

thanks fella, we havent been told yet, but its kinda obvious, everything is getting packed away into boxes around us as we work! theres only us, our macs and the radio left!
  4. Tom Sound

Tom Sound Active Member

Well, I hope they're just having a massive tidy up around you. But if you're right, that does suck :sad: best of luck mate.
  5. Harry

Harry Senior Member

Doesn't sound too great mate, I'm afraid.

What you do have to remember is that if you are one of the unlucky ones, there's always other stuff to move onto. We had the exact same thing at my old place 4 months ago and everyone has gone onto much better things :)
  6. Or you guys could be moving offices? :confused:
  7. Jimlad

Jimlad Well-Known Member

Welcome to the club mate, I got credit crunched out of my illustration job too a while back. It's not pleasant.
  8. Rhonda

Rhonda Senior Member

Ouch, sorry to hear that to both Dave and Jimlad. I know that music too unfortunately. Was laid off from my last really well paying job, in graphic art, because the company never really could get off the ground, and they were struggling to get their own expenses paid and get pay checks to employees for the entire time I was with them. So it was inevitable I got let go off after only about 4 months.
  9. glenwheeler

glenwheeler Senior Member

aaahhhhh man bad times :( It's soo hard at the moment with work, especially in the creative industry theres nothing much going on. I finished Uni and was homeless, Jobless and felt like life had just crashed down. The best thing is to keep looking around and send out plenty of CV's etc. Your a talented guy i've seen some of your work, hopefully you'll be kept on at your current job but if not then things will pick up mate, you did the hard part by getting into the trade in the first place, now it seems you have loads of experience you shouldnt have a problem getting somewhere, all the best! Good Luck and Ill keep my eyes and ear open for you.
  10. berry

berry Active Member

sorry to hear that.
  11. Thewholehogg

Thewholehogg Active Member

It happens to the best of us. Twice in my experience.

Build on it man, use the time constructively, be creative, learn something new, spend time with the family. The next position is usually better in the long run.

Chin up old chap keep frosty and make sure your flint is sharp and your powder is dry.
  12. Krey20

Krey20 Senior Member

All I can do is echo the sentiments of the thread.

All the best mate.
  13. Greg

Greg Active Member

Likewise, sorry to hear of the rumours Dave, fingers crossed it isn't as you're thinking, but like everyone else has said if it is, then I'm sure it will all work out. Guessing there's no further news yet? Did they say anything yesterday?
  14. tim

tim Senior Member

same with my dad.

he's pretty high up with where he's at but they announced yesterday they're reshuffling the business and 75% of people are going.

he's basically said "it's cool, i'll go" as he thinks he's done his time there now, but still, it's a bit strange
  15. openmind

openmind Senior Member

It really is a ****ter and I'm gutted for you but look at this way, maybe it gives you the perfect opportunity to break the chains and go full time self-employed?
  16. Thewholehogg

Thewholehogg Active Member

It's a difficult time for all at the moment and not a lot of work being offered.

It's a challenge for sure but you have to give it a go at some point so why not now?

Good luck.
  17. CarmaCreative

CarmaCreative Member

Keep your pecker up dude.

Happened to me just over a year and a half ago. Was a bit of a blow at the time, but well happy freelancing now. It's hard work but well worth it.

Good luck!
  18. davewill

davewill Senior Member

Thanks for all the messages of support guys. Unfortunately I was made redundant last Friday, the administrators were called in and we all got told to pack our bags and go straight home. its a bit surreal getting up in the mornings with nowhere to go! im keeping busy though working on my portfolio, sending out CVs, doing all those freebies for friends that I promised Id get round to someday, and trying to avoid day time TV at all costs!

Does anyone know of any decent creative job sites? At the moment I check the guardian site, design week, the drum, creative pool and my local papers website but not much has changed since I started looking! Any other sites people have used in the past that have quality jobs on them?
    Volcano classic review
  19. Damn Dave that sucks dude :(

I think you check all the places I did when I changed jobs :) I would suggest as well :) they seem to have a lot on there too :)
  20. ralphsaunders

ralphsaunders Senior Member

The Boagworld forums has a job section you might want to look through.