Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gunnar Optik Glasses

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by Renniks, Sep 5, 2009.

1. Renniks

Renniks Senior Member

Just read up on these and they sound awesome, glasses that protect you from visual glare etc....
    My mums just got glasses, my dad has needed them for years, and they both had 20/20 vision for most of their life, personally I dont want them... so thinking about preventing it.

Gunnar Optiks - Products

Only problem is they don't seem to deliver to the UK, any ideas of similar things? or whether its a waste of time :p

Cheers folks

2. allyally2k

allyally2k Senior Member

Do you think they work if you already wear glasses or are the just to prevent?

3. Renniks

Renniks Senior Member

They don't work for people with glasses as they aren't prescription lenses.
    They are used to prevent eyes getting in bad condition & to reduce any other issues with prolonged screen exposure (head-aches, eye-ache, lower reflexes [gaming] etc.)

Seems like for the $59 they would be an awesome investment :D

4. allyally2k

allyally2k Senior Member

I've never heard of anything like that before...you'd think opticians would sell them as they always ask 'do you use computers?'

5. Renniks

Renniks Senior Member

6. allyally2k

allyally2k Senior Member

Could have definitely done with a pair of them a few years ago my eye sight has totally deteriorated over the last couple of years, especially now i'm full time graphic designer i stare at the screen all day then come home and work on my own stuff! (or shop online)! I asked my optician if staring at screens made my eyes worse and he said there was no evidence but surely it can't be good!!

7. Renniks

Renniks Senior Member

Shame they have nothing for people using glasses (I assume you do now) ... :)

8. allyally2k

allyally2k Senior Member

I know yeah you'd think there would be something, with all the new technology!! Yeah I wear glasses although I got contacts in right now!

9. Levi

Levi Moderator Staff Member

Last time I checked my local opticians did sell antiglare (got this in my current glasses) and lenses to help your eyes while viewing a pc screen etc (ie the yellow tinted lenses). They were an add on for about £20 iirc, never bothered mind you as its pretty pointless with a tft and I also had concerns over colour accuracy being that they had a yellow tint.

10. allyally2k

allyally2k Senior Member

Oh yeah I got that on mine the anti glare thing deffo worth the extra money.

11. Renniks

Renniks Senior Member

I imagine these are very similar to that anti glare then :) but obviously before needing prescription. Yes pointless with TFT and I believe the colour they shows colours more prominently rather than tinting everything yellow :)

12. Levi

At the end of the day its just another film layered on to your lenses and just about any decent optician should offer it for those that are interested in it but I couldn't see the point in it and I was already well over £300 on my 2 glasses at the time and I'm a cheapskate :)
    Personally I was more interested in lighter lenses(I might as well be blind without my glasses as I can't see clearly past 2" in front of my face), anti scratch and UV plus a dark tint on one pair for driving :)

13. Renniks

Renniks Senior Member

They don't seem to be available at all in the UK :(
    was quite interested in trying a pair.
    nevermind :(

14. mrp2049

mrp2049 Senior Member

Oakley do something similar, i'll have a look around see what I can find.

15. Renniks

Renniks Senior Member

Cheers, :)
    One of the co-founders added me on twitter, asked her about uk pairs....

Will let anyone know of any updates. :D

16. Levi

if they don't have any in the UK offer to ve the UK distributor :)

17. LOL that would be a massive job to be a distributor :)

18. Levi

He's a student he's got plenty of spare time, he can even offer a design forum discount :)

19. A DF Discount :) of 80% off the RRP ;) :lol:

20. Levi

I was thinking of free for review purposes :p