Guitar Body

matt Fordyce

HI,
I'm making a guitar for A2 and while looking for inspiration on Google images I searched 'carved guitar body' and found these fantastic 3d designs.

We have a router in college that can carve out a photo in 3D on thin material so when light passes through it, the changes in thickness produce the different contrasts to create the photo image. However, as this is designed for thin material it only cuts up to a few millimeters thick and changes in depth are at right angles and not curved (I tried this with a falcon on some thin beech wood and the result was less than satisfactory). I want to create something more like the examples on the websites I found.

My teacher suggested to post on a forum to see if anyone knew how you could carve photos into wood, So here I am. Is there any way that i can carve a photo with more depth and dimension?

laser cutting may do the job as would doing laminated layers, each being cut out and then finished by hand. Neither are cheap and by looks of it all the carved guitars on google appear to have been done by hand so realistically there is no quick way to add depth and dimension to wood in this context.

And to be honest your teacher should have known this especially if they're teaching a-levels, these aren't new techniques if you have a 3D router ....

I'm with Levi, and I'm going to talk from a guitarists point of view.

Custom work of that level would require one of either the two people:

Went To Get Provisions...

Now this is do by burning not carving.

or

T C Ellis Guitars - Custom Built Electric Guitars in Cardiff

someone like this guy, who does it by hand and will charge you an arm and a leg! Skilled luthiers (thats the right name for them) are not (NOT!) a dime a dozen and generally the people who are very good, will have you waiting months to do a simple job! I know, I waited 6 months for a guy in cardiff, (who is not online, not in the yellow pages, you have to know him to get into the shop) just to do a fret shaping!

Back