Greatest logo of all time?

Greg said:
That must be annoying to have been one of the first companies to use the word in the name and for it to actually have a meaning back then, shame the bandwagon picked that word to follow! Intrigued to know about the other 'things'... (we have a private forum you know ;);)) lol

'Freshly Squeezed Orange Juice' circa 1985. If I pushed ahead with the idea I would have been a Multi-Millionaire. The hard problem, no-one then knew what freshly squeezed orange juice really was! OH God... I'm going into depression thinking about my lack of balls!

This is a difficult one, there are so many good logos around that has stood the test of time - classics such as IBM, Miller, BMW, Mercedes etc. I do not think you can single one out but I agree with a few of the earlier posts and I certainly think that Coca-Cola and VW are up there. One logo I have admired over the years has been FedEx, its a simple logo with has a good idea drawn into it, there is a arrow which is visible in the negative space of the letters 'e' and 'x', a nice well executed concept which says exactly what the company does.

Great question to post in this forum - well done.

Simplicity is always attractive, that's why I love the Apple logo (although it's a very obvious choice).

For me it's the Sun - yup the big glowing yellow disc in the sky bringer of light and life. It must be the most symbolised object in human history.

And more or less anything by Paul Rand :up:

Its like asking how long is a piece of string!

I think coca cola is a crap logo. It's a fantastic brand, but as a logo, taken on it's own without any of the brand armoury it's just a logo that hasn't changed since it was introduced (and all others have). Lots of logo's looked very similar to CC back then. Turner Duckworth did an incredible job with it recently, making it an even stronger brand.

Same goes with Ford etc.

Apple however is a great brand AND a great logo. Same with Fedex. But there are many great logo's designed every year from CDT's ENO, to the back catalogue of The Partners, Lewis Moberly, Pentagram etc. To judge one above another is impossible.

Although logos such as Apple and Disney are at the top, I think I'd say... Chanel. So simple and perfectly executed!
chanel-logo.jpg

I think that one that has managed to keep on staying with it quite well is BBC .. not because of any specific reason other than its diversity and the way that with the design trends changing and evolving, the BBC logo has managed to stay up with the trend without actually changing a lot or at all.. Just my opinion.

After that would be Coca-Cola because of its ability to also withstand too many rebrands / redesigns and to keep its own font type the same for the companies duration is a testament of good (yet simple) design.

Another addition in my mind would be the VW brand, another simple yet effective branding, which survived all the WW2 stuff and kept on going, had a bit of a dip a while ago but is now in the same boat for "funky design" as Apple... which is my other choice :) Apple have managed to take a simple fruit and turn it into a world wide phenomenon (see iPod etc).

Those are my choices for Greatest Logo of all time :)

I'm gonna bring this back up and say Facebook is possibly the best I've ever seen.

Reasons being...

• Simplicity yet beauty
  • Attractive
  • Bold
  • It represents my second favourite site (first being DF by far :D)
Crap reasons, I know, but they sounded better in my head.

JonnyCazzola said:
The most successful logo has to be the swastika!

Yeehay! I said that back on page 1 or 2!

forget the meaning and what it stood for. It's a perfect symetrical logo that ANYONE in the world could draw in 3 seconds. That's powerful graphics. Couldn't do that with most logos.....

For me it has to be the elaborate Jack Daniel's image which sophistcatedly links back to the heritage of the Jack Daniel's Distillery, established in 1866. The ecclectic mix of contrasting typefaces and elegent bordering patterns both encompass a timeless beauty.

Why does everyone always say cokacola this is the best logo of all time?

It's one of the best brands of all time, but logo? No.

Interestingly, the most recognized word in the world is OK.

The second most recognized is coke.

c OK e.

Back