Greatest logo of all time?

Greg said:
Matt I agree with your points, and it is important to distinguish between a logo and a brand

New task then, Find a great logo associated with a crap brand.

Greg said:
If I had to chose in terms of a logo standing out on its own I would have to say Nike, who doesn't recognize that logo and what it represents?

If it's of any interest, if you do a google image search on the word 'logo' the only Related search Google suggests is 'Nike logo'

That says something about Nike

Good point about relationships of logo and branding, matt. Even more so, sometimes a bad logo is a good branding decision (quick example - if that bad logo is historically or otherwise so significant that brand will be worse off by changing it).

As for my personal favorites (and thinking about situations when good logo equals good branding), I think EAT and Liverpool Victoria are both perfect.

vodkalondon said:
As for my personal favorites (and thinking about situations when good logo equals good branding),

Good logo can't = Good branding. It's two completely different things and disciplines.
That's like saying No1. record = Good record. Thankyou Mr Blobby and Cliff Richards Millennium Prayer. Brand is the most overused word in the past 10 years and the also most misunderstood.

Berry said:
Good logo can't = Good branding. It's two completely different things and disciplines.
That's like saying No1. record = Good record. Thankyou Mr Blobby and Cliff Richards Millennium Prayer. Brand is the most overused word in the past 10 years and the also most misunderstood.

Exactly what I'm talking about. That's probably my written English being not quite up to this board's standards.

Has no one mentioned ebay or google yet?

These are two incredibly bad logos - that millions of people use everyday - and have hardly changed since they were launched in the early days of the world wide web.

We all know them instantly - i personally think they're sh*t bad - but still they are still there - and they are the logos of two of the most recognised brands in the world.

Still there - instantly recognisable - great?

rossnorthernunion said:

These are two incredibly bad logos - that millions of people use everyday - and have hardly changed since they were launched in the early days of the world wide web

Still there - instantly recognisable - great?

It's a blur between bad Mechanical Branding ( logo) and good Branding ( delivering a promise of consistancy ) It's important to realise logo is design only, branding is a marketing culture and deliverabilty. Sometimes crap records do get to No 1. The objective is to sell records, not sell good records. Ching! Ching!

rossnorthernunion said:

Can't believe I didn't think of mentioning either one of these, I probably see the Google logo more than any other logo on a day-to-day basis, and yes it is a very bad logo. As Berry says the service it delivers is the opposite, and most things Google does I seem to think are great, is that down to branding? I don't think so, I think it's just more than likely that it's a logo I've accepted and then never really noticed. I love the name though, but that again probably comes of the back of the service/products, if someone had of said the name to me years before they started I probably would have thought it was a poor/weak name compared with the early search engines like Ask.

It seems we all accept the google logo.

We all google - i'm sure the word google is on its way to replacing the word 'search'

- need an answer? I'll google it!

Googling, Googled, Goolies - it's accepted in language just as we all seem to accept the logo.

You're right it is!

So what's that utter domination of the search market down to...
certainly not a good logo...
good branding?...
a good name?...
or just an old fashioned good product/service/business model?

Greg said:
You're right it is!

So what's that utter domination of the search market down to...
certainly not a good logo...
good branding?...
a good name?...
or just an old fashioned good product/service/business model?

I think name/advertising.

We all used to Yahoo (Do You Yahoo? Yahooooooooo) at one time - now we all Google each other. And i only Asked Jeeves once.

rossnorthernunion said:
It seems we all accept the google logo.

We all google - i'm sure the word google is on its way to replacing the word 'search'

- need an answer? I'll google it!

Googling, Googled, Goolies - it's accepted in language just as we all seem to accept the logo.

Spot on... Once a brand name goes into common parlence then it's untouchable and made
- ie: Hoover, Google, Mac etc
They say once Comedians use a brand name in an act, then it's 'made'

Actually its 'Daim' bar now.

I know that cos i had one from the shop the other day.

I didnt notice until i threw the wrapper in the bin.

Great logo? Or did i just accept it?

Greg said:
So Berry, what came first Dime Bar or Armadillo Creative?

Actually Greg, you know what annoys me?

the word Creative in a company name!

3 years ago when i set up Armadillo, I couldn't decide whether we, ( there were only 2 of us) were- ...Armadillo Advertising agency, Armadillo Design Agency, Armadillo Marketing Consultants, Armadillo Communication, Armadillo Communico etc etc. I scoured the Yellow pages for an identifyer. I settled on 'Creative" as that was our USP and brand delivery, as that is what we were - two creatives designers, and that is my background and trade. Till then no body had used that term 'Creative: In the last 3 and half years everybody and the kitchen sink uses the word Creative. It is MINE! So give me back my word! I should have trademarked the bugger! I now have abandoned the word creative in our public brand delivery as it is now meaningless and overused. (One day I may tell you about 'things' that I originated that somehow superceeded me and made others rich!)

Yes I've noticed that the use of the word 'Creative' is no longer creative in itself anymore, I've had this discussion a couple of times before when I was considering creating a name/brand for my freelance work, I ended up getting stuck between a few names and never got one that I was 100% happy with so stuck with my own name.

That must be annoying to have been one of the first companies to use the word in the name and for it to actually have a meaning back then, shame the bandwagon picked that word to follow! Intrigued to know about the other 'things'... (we have a private forum you know ;);)) lol

Back