Graphics Tablets...

Yeah I've got the Wacom Bamboo A5 aswell. I don't use it anywhere near as much as I should, mainly because of impracticalities with space. A great tool though, worth owning.

wacom is probs the best tablet to go for...even a entry level tablet from wacom will do the job.

I've got a Wacom Intuos A4 tablet, which I love. I haven't been using it anywhere near enough due to workspace issues, but now I have my new iMac I find myself with a lot more desk space, so I'm planning to use it a lot more. I especially enjoy the zoom slider and function buttons on my particular model that helps to iradicate the need for the mouse when you are using it.

I tend to use the tablet for illustrative work and it's perfect to do anything in photoshop. If you are used to hand drawn conceptualising this is a wonderfully intuative tool that can easily transfer those scribbled doodles onto the screen without cleaning it up too much.

Only drawback is that this particular tablet was expensive. But I find that it is worth it for the seemingly huge A4 drawing area.

I have some kind of Wacom, but it doesn't say which type (model: FT-0405-U0B). My brother gave it to me, just to try it out. I've used it like 5 or 6 times maybe... :p

I have the Wacom Intuos A4 tablet also, it rocks! I also have all pens including air brush etc etc, pretty neat equipment bought for me as a leaving present from my previous job :D

I've used an Intuos 2 for the last eight years. It's a 9x12 which is actually a bit bigger that A3 and takes up a fair
bit of desk space but I love it. I really don't think I'd be able to work without it now.
I only ever use a mouse for looking on the web and I use the one that came with the tablet.

I think the reason that Wacom are the best by such a long way is because the own the rights to much of the
technology.

I can use it in conjunction with photoshop or painter for sketching but I think I've become far too comfortable
with a chaotic pile of A4 and a layout pad. I guess there are just some things that a Wacom can't do:)

well i currently have my hands on a aiptek hyperpen 12000u, and as yet i am not down with this tablet thing, but then I have never been that great an artist.

i got a wacom bamboo fun (small A6 version) for about £60 from Amazon and it's awesome, and white and goes with my MacBook :) ... i recommend that.

will have to get myself a tablet again once I get a desktop machine... oh and a desk :lol:

chrismitchell said:
will have to get myself a tablet again once I get a desktop machine... oh and a desk :lol:

I love my desk, but to keep it the way i like it I cant get a desktop! Its a slanty one from ikea with a light box section, if i put a monitor on it i will have slipping issues!

I've got a wacom intuos 3 a5 wide special edition (its black like the rest of my kit:)) along with the airbrush and marker pen tools plus a case to keep it in. Hardly seem to use it at the moment though although it does come in handy for image touch up etc

I just found this thread and it's pretty much what I needed. I want to get a graphics tablet but I have no idea if I'll like it or not, so for that reason I'm going to get a Bamboo and if we get along I'll upgrade to a Intuos and sell the Bamboo. Now all I need is some money!

So I finally bought a Wacom Bamboo which cost me £50. I've been using it for a week now and I'm quite impressed - no complaints at all. I would recommend to anyone who hasn't used a tablet before and is looking for an entry level model

Going back to the Wacom Bamboo; I have just purchased one of these as I also has a cheaper tablet by trust (i didn't think!) and I am so surprised at how great the bamboo is. The precision, general feel and functionality is great and I would recommend this as it is one of the cheapest but still high in quality. I purchased it for around £65 at play.com (discount),

Wacom Bamboo is great for personal use. At work we have Wacom Intuos3 and they are good but more expensive to the bamboo. Comparing the two of them I do not regret buying the Wacom Bamboo.

I will only use Wacom from now on.

ReflexStock said:
Are graphic tablets worth it ?
Really depends on what you do in my view, CAD not so much, dtp could probably get away without it, photoshop and illustrator probably uses it the most.

As a side note: Wacom look like they're producing a multitouch based bamboo (fingers only) to replicate the macbook pro gestures etc. Could be win7 (and maybe mac) only but might be interesting to have a play on :D

Back