Graphics tablets - I find drawing difficult!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup, the pencil is still king....I still draw the image out first....then scan and Photoshopery added as you go along.

I think sometimes that folk think 'oh I must spend £200 on a top of the line tablet....then I be able to draw!' It don't work like that.
Get yer HB out for the lads! On Tesco printer paper. Sorted

ohhh necro thread revival....

a graphics tablet can be used for more than just drawing, I mainly use mine for touching up images.

I use mine for cleaning up photos mostly. Getting the edges correct is far far easier than a mouse or track pad.

I am with Levi.

mrp2049 said:
I use mine for cleaning up photos mostly. Getting the edges correct is far far easier than a mouse or track pad.

I am with Levi.

A cintiq would be awesome however, I'm lucky enough to have an ooooool a4 digitiser 2, still works perfectly but I only use it for retouching and editing photos. I wouldn't be with out it though it's a godsend for cloning large areas :)

• Tesco Value Copier for roughing out.
• Layout for refining.
• Digital camera for importing.
• Wacom and AI for working up to vectors.

Old school and new school in harmony:)

A few reasons Typo:)

When I moved to Mac OSX the drivers for my scanner weren't supported so I started using my digital camera just to get them in.

As I work over the sketch in AI I don't need crisp line art and the camera is quick to do and import and takes up a hell of a lot less space than the scanner did. I just set it on macro.

I've even used the camera on my phone and imported via Blue Tooth which is pretty easy.

I guess if I was using the drawing as a base for the artwork then I'd need to scan but up to now I haven't.

Typo said:
Yup, the pencil is still king....I still draw the image out first....then scan and Photoshopery added as you go along.

I think sometimes that folk think 'oh I must spend £200 on a top of the line tablet....then I be able to draw!' It don't work like that.
Get yer HB out for the lads! On Tesco printer paper. Sorted

Best way to do it to be fair, just wish I could draw

What Typo said.

I always get far better results drawing by hand. Especially anything that needs some flow or movement to it. A tablet is another tool but it's not the be all and end all.

JimLad speakuth the truth.

You can produce a cracking illustration with a bit of chalk on the pavement....IF you have the skills.

Scanning in drawings then painting over is the way I go about it. Ipaint in photoshop on 20% to 60% brush opacness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back