Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Cards

Discussion in 'Graphic Design Forum:' started by Emily0415, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Emily0415

Emily0415 Guest

I hope this is not a too-newbie question but, what should I pay attention to when buying a new graphics card?
  2. Pixels Ink

Pixels Ink Member

It really depends on what you want to use it for:

If you are wanting to do 3D work / gaming then you should go for a high end card like the nVidia 280 or the Ati 4870

If you just want to do 2D work (web / print) then a mid range card will be fine like the nVidia 9800 or the Ati 3870

With new graphics cards these days you also have to make sure that:

A) they will fit in your case as newer cards are bloomin' big!

B) that you have a big enough PSU (power supply unit) that has a specific power connector that connects to your card as most modern cards require power direct from the PSU and not just through the motherboard. You really want a minimum rated PSU of 600W.

C) make sure your motherboard has the right type of slot for you card. Most new cards require PCI-e connection.

**Don't go for a cheap £20 PSU becuase they have a tendancy to blow up and will take the rest of your PC components with it. Generally you want to spend at least £50.

Hope that helps a bit.
  3. Emily0415

Emily0415 Guest

Thank you Pixels Ink,
    I want to do 3D works, what do you people think of eVGA FTW or BFG OCX?
    any suggestion?
  4. Pixels Ink

Pixels Ink Member

Definitely the BFG.
  5. Eagle

Eagle Member

I use BFG - their support is second to none allegedly - no that I've had to use it. UK (Welsh) company too, so I believe. :)
  6. Emily0415

Emily0415 Guest

thank you, I'm appreciated!