Graphics Card..

xxmissbirdyxx

Im after a new graphics card for my computer.. I have no idea about them as i've never really needed to know about them.

When I make models on 3dsMax i get black lines going across the screen and its really frustrating when adding materials and textures.

My current graphics card is a NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT.

Any help would be appreciated thanks :D

welcome to the wonderful world of 3DS Max :) Geforce does not cut it, you need quadro or firegl/pro cards

Whats your budget as I can pretty much tell you the best bang for buck on this as its my field.

Ohh right :)

Well what are the price ranges? I obviously want something decent - being an interior designer I will need to use the software and be able to use it comfortably without getting frustrated.

Im willing to fork out whatever it'll cost to resolve the problem! If you could link me to some that would be great!

:D

xxmissbirdyxx said:
Ohh right :)

Well what are the price ranges? I obviously want something decent - being an interior designer I will need to use the software and be able to use it comfortably without getting frustrated.

Im willing to fork out whatever it'll cost to resolve the problem! If you could link me to some that would be great!

:D
quadro/firepro's can go upto £1500 or more :p

In my opinion and having seen the level of work being produced by uni students on an exhibition/interior design course (lincoln) you should be ok with a nvidia quadro fx580 512MB or fx1800 768MB (£135/£380 respectively from lambdatek - good service and cheapest too), there's a reason I've gone for nvidia over ati and that's due to them now owning mental ray (one of the render engines in 3DS Max) and I suspect that within the next year they will have enabled cuda rendering with it :)

I've been using a gpu with roughly the same power as the fx580 and its been ok for me although I'm now hitting its limits with my work as its getting a lot more complex of late so will probably be upgrading to the fx1800 (or higher) at some point.

If you do get one its not going to be a gaming cpu, you will need to do a complete install for best results and don't forget the maxtreme drivers too.

Back