Graphic 'Techniques' help needed!

Hi there guys, apologies for taking over the forum recently! I have yet another thread to start..

I'm just wondering if anyone could help me on some homework my photography tutor has given me, in preparation for my interview. He wants me to understand and tell him what these terms are.. i can't find anything on the net..

1) The Golden Triangle
2) The Rule of Thirds (I've done this)
3) Graphic Balance
4) Lead-ins
5) The Triangle of Interest

Your help is appreciated! Thank-you.

I only know 2 @ 4.

2. The thirds rule (or Golden Section) is a way of dividing a work area into thirds, obviously! For some reason, we, as humans find this arrangement pleasing to the eye. Strangley, also features a lot in nature. Nautilus shell and Fibonacci numbers.

4. Lead-ins surely guide the eye to the focal point of the image? Using repetition, perspective, foreshortening, contrast, focus etc. one can take the viewer's eye on a journey throughout the image, to the focal point of the image. Some photography works where there is no lead-in though - like a Where's Wally.

In terms of photography
1) bit of a misnomer - it's the spiral as found in shells and other curved things. It does have a formula but it's basically this

image002.jpg

2) 3x3 grid overlay of the image. All to do with balancing out the image - link with more info

3) can't say I've ever heard of the term but it could relate to white balance, contrast, exposure and that type of thing - ie how dark/light it is and balance against other objects in the scene.

4) easiest way to think of it is basically a railway line leading your eye from the edge of the photo to a person in the scene. There are other options too including focus and depth of field.

5) like 4 another thing to help with composition and guiding the eye around the photo, basically 3 main focal points to help guide the eye around a scene - link

(1) golden triangle is the same as golden section and also golden ratio - neither of which have any relation to the rule of thirds (2) :)

ok maybe worded a bit weirdly lol

Basically golden triangle, golden section and golden ratio all relate to the same 'spiral' I mentioned earlier and have nothing to do with the rule of thirds which is the 3x3 grid.

Leelovesbikestoo was saying question 1 and 2 were the same answer when they're not, they're different aspects relating to design and photography.

Make a point of learning the stuff that you can use. Don't waste your time on golden triangles.

and remember that you can sometimes colour outside the lines.

Yeah I can't say I use the golden triangle rule but I do use rule of thirds, lead ins and to a point the triangle of interest in my cad renderings.

Harsh punchline. Has ANYONE got any practical use for the Golden Wotzit aside from it being handy filler for art theory tutors?

Jimlad said:
Has ANYONE got any practical use for the Golden Wotzit aside from it being handy filler for art theory tutors?

yeah Mr Snail, his mobile home is made from the shape and it's really handy for him to carry on his back. I think a few Mr Crab's are following his example too.

I am guessing that you can have straight lead ins to an image and also have curved lead ins as in the 'shell' scenario - both can be used to manipulate the viewers eye.

Balance in Design - Balance in general is seen as equal visual weight. ‘Symmetrical Balance’ would be described as a central axis dividing the composition in the middle, horizontally or vertically, with the same design on both sides, what we would think of as a mirror reflection.

Hope it helps

Back