graphic designer needs a website

Dan_masoomi

hello everyone, starting up my own business and i am in need of my own website, i am a grahpic designer so i am after something that looks the part but also easy to navigate

i would prefer to give the work to someone in this site if anyones interested,

here are the links of some sites i like and if anyone is capeable of doing it could you please pm me with some details of pricing and time scale etc

i have never had a website made before so there are things i dont really know but i have an idea of price ranges

here are some links of websites i like

AVICII Official Website

David Despau

TinBacicDesign

the last website is probably exactly what i want inside a website, portfolio - about me - contact me

thanks for taking time out to read this if your interested let me know

thanks

Hey Danny,
I have moved your post into the correct section of the forums. I would strongly suggest you add your budget as this will help those who can help you, decide if they want to get involved.

As a question to your post however, will you be supplying the visual design for the website or will you be expecting the webguy to produce this for you?

I would have thought because of the flash heavy nature of 2 of the examples you have posted, you best get a BIG (!!) budget.

If you want something similar and can wait a few weeks, drop me a line.

Hi Danny,

See you've listed a couple of horizontal scroll sites as examples, these can definitely be achieved with CSS, if you're planning on doing some SEO to try and bring some search traffic in this would be the way to go, instead of flash.

In terms of the design, would you be putting this together yourself, but also be looking for guidance on best practice to do so?

As for development costs, it can vary so much depending on the spec of the site build, the complexity of the design, if you can begin to figure out what might be needed from advice here then I'm sure we can help you get a reasonable spec together to start getting accurate quotes.

A few questions for the development side:
- Will you need a news/blog section?
- Will you want to add/edit/remove work in the portfolio?
- Will the site be built with SEO in mind, or purely on aesthetics for clients you've already made contact with, to see your work?
- Any other extras - email contact form, etc?

Hope that helps in some way.
Thanks, Greg

P.S. As Ross says, Wordpress could be a good option, especially for a short-term solution as there's a range of out-of-the-box portfolio themes available. If you wanted to go this way and need help with hosting/domain setup, etc, drop me a PM.

first of all thank you all for getting back in touch for me, some great advice here, i'm very new to web design in fact i know nothing at all.

the plan is to build up a website as a business, not a portfolio. i want to be able to get in work from the site...

i want people to be able to go on see my work... send me emails and enquire about what they need, how i can help them and what ways my company can help in the most effective way.

im in no rush at the moment for the site i have a few weeks, i am currently arranging office space in liverpool so i can start up my business

i am a graphic designer so i want to basically rebrand companies that need a new facelift or new companies coming through small or large firms that need an identity, i offer a simple service of 2d design such as business cards, posters flyers etc... anything promotional and identity

i dont really understand the concept of CSS OR SEO? apologies if i sound really stupid if it is really obvious what they mean

basically i want a website where people can...

get people interested instantly

easy to navigate

easily contact me for work ( a website that brings in the clients basically)

have a showcase of work which can be updated when needed

a website that says i am a real business ( also with an email with my business name if possible?)

i have no idea how much websites cost, i have been told there is a huge amount of price ranges

i am looking to spend a few hundred. this is a very important thing for my business as everything is done online

so i dont want to fall short on a nice website if this helps, i cant give an actual figure just yet but i know i need to, i think i will know more on my budget before the weekend.

this may not be possible but does anyone have any idea how much the sites i have shown would have cost roughly? or can show me examples and price ranges?

i understand designing websites is a very custom thing just like graphic design so please be patient with me!

thanks very much to everyone

Hi Danny,

I deleted the domain name you mentioned in your post, as I've seen crawlers pick up posts like this then register the available domain to try to sell back! (the domain you mentioned is free to register).

In terms of hosting & domains, this is what you'll need:

- A domain name, preferably a .co.uk, and I would recommend getting the .com to match if it's available. I would use the .co.uk for the main site and setup the .com to forward to the .co.uk, easily done. I've personally always used 123-Reg for domains (they charge around £7 for a .co.uk for 2 yrs registration).

- Web hosting, this will give you space on a server to host your website and emails on your domain, so you can setup [email protected]. Drop me a PM and I can assist with this (have been planning to sell hosting to DF members on the UK server used for the forums)

CSS - stands for Cascading Style Sheets, basically a coding language, used for styling the front end of websites, better to go down the route of HTML/CSS and some javascript than using all-out Flash as it's more accessible for users and search engines.

SEO - Search Engine Optimisation - you have two sides to 'SEO', one is things you do on your site to help the search engines crawl the content and figure out who it's aimed at, and who the content might be relevant for. The other side is things you would do off-site, this essentially comes down to building links from other sites back to yours.

Wordpress - An open source (free) content management system that would allow you to manage the content of the site yourself from a login area. Also lots of plugins available as it's open source and a huge community of people using it. There's also a vast number of 'themes' available to customise the look and feel of Wordpress, in addition lots of 'premium' themes that are available for purchase.

With a budget of a few hundred, it sounds like getting a Wordpress site with a premium theme to customize sounds like it might be the best way forward. To design and build a custom Wordpress theme from scratch would be in the mid £xxx range I would think.

Hope that helps!
Thanks, Greg

:) first of all sorry for such a late reply,

i have been so busy planning things for my new start up, once again some great advice, i think maybe the best solution for now is just doing one myself on word press,

i just feel that if my website isnt great looking people viewing it wont take me seriously, if this makes sense? i know the look of the website will help sell myself.

where can i find wordpress example websites?

thanks

dannymaz_10 said:
:) first of all sorry for such a late reply,

i have been so busy planning things for my new start up, once again some great advice, i think maybe the best solution for now is just doing one myself on word press,

i just feel that if my website isnt great looking people viewing it wont take me seriously, if this makes sense? i know the look of the website will help sell myself.

where can i find wordpress example websites?

thanks

If you were looking for someone to work with / collaberate by taking your design ideas and coding them into a custom wordpress site I could help you out as often its hard to find a wordpress 'theme' which is exactly what you want. My site is all powered by wordpress even though I tried to make it not look like it was built on wordpress. www.imgd.co.uk

If your inteststed drop me a PM.

Back