Graphic Designer IDENTITY CRISIS!!!!

BubbleButt

Hello,

I'm having a bit of an identity crisis.... i have always been in love with art. When i see good art it gives me chills. I started drawing as a young kid and got more and more into illustration as i got older. Once i finished school I went into Graphic design. i have been work in graphic design for the past 4 years. I've always worked in the print media field.

I have been looking for a new job and have noticed that about 75% of the listings are asking for - Photoshop, illustrator, indesign, flash and dreamweaver. I have always received pressure from other graphic designer friends to learn some web. They call me a dinosaur! I took a few night classes for HTML and Flash. I didn't last very long. I'm just not a fan of coding or scripting.

So here's my crisis.... should I push myself more and get into web? and if not, will i be unemployed forever!!! ??? :icon_scared: Should i just concentrate on illustration and design and worry about someone else coding my work?

If i do try getting more involved with web, what would be the best tool for me to learn? Dreamweaver, Flash, Flash catalyst (i know it's not really out yet but i like the 'no actionscript' part of it) or are there some other software out there for someone as code retarded as myself?

anyways, any opinions would be appreciated.
CHEERS

Welcome to the forum.

I'd say it's a bonus knowing web based material, not a necessity though. Obviously a decent online portfolio is always good, but knowing code is not essential, depending of course on which route you take.
Take into account that some agencies that you come across on the web will just use a generic copy and paste method to graphics related jobs.

In my experience, you can get by using code from open source websites (meaning that anybody can use it). As far as I can tell, all you need is the know how on the method to send a client a proof of work.

If you are getting into web though, definately use dreamweaver. A lot of people will tell you that certain websites shouldn't be created purely in flash, as they aren't google friendly, which translates as, "google won't find your website unless you have an array of keywords, and flash can't do this".

Also try learning CSS, it's the new black of web code apparently.:icon_wink:

This source isn't a bad little starting point : World Wide Web Consortium - Web Standards

Welcome to the forum.

I'd say it's a bonus knowing web based material, not a necessity though. Obviously a decent online portfolio is always good, but knowing code is not essential, depending of course on which route you take.
Take into account that some agencies that you come across on the web will just use a generic copy and paste method to graphics related jobs.

In my experience, you can get by using code from open source websites (meaning that anybody can use it). As far as I can tell, all you need is the know how on the method to send a client a proof of work.

If you are getting into web though, definately use dreamweaver. A lot of people will tell you that certain websites shouldn't be created purely in flash, as they aren't google friendly, which translates as, "google won't find your website unless you have an array of keywords, and flash can't do this".

Also try learning CSS, it's the new black of web code apparently.:icon_wink:

This source isn't a bad little starting point : World Wide Web Consortium - Web Standards

I agreee, DW is a must, try lynda.com very good courses there

It's not essential.

I do know a bit about coding, but I don't offer it as a service because I don't want to do web development work, I don't enjoy it and I don't want to have to learn things that don't interest me.

I've been offering design only for many years, it won't be a problem, you can stick to design only and it's quite expected that a graphic designer isn't going to necessarily offer the customer web work as well. Graphic designers instead typically handle brand identity, print design, print handling.

Amanda

I'd say go with what you enjoy doing, as this will show through in the work you produce. If you don't enjoy doing web work then it's going to feel like a chore! and any time spent doing this will feel like an iternity!

I won't lie, I really don't enjoy anything to do with web development. I've done a few websites on the side and have to say that none were very good experiences. Clients asking at the end... "i need to update the website myself. Why am I on the second page in Google? etc etc."

I have stopped offering it because I don't feel professional doing it. If someone asked me for a design involving a unicorn eating a hamburger to promote the joys of curdling cheese, I would feel excited because I would be up for a challenge. Whereas when a client asks for a website with an online store, a updatable image gallery, buttons that scroll out rather then down etc... i get anxiety.

However I can't help but feel pressured to learn it or kiss my design career goodbye.

I agree with you. More and more clients look to designers as a one stop shop and don't understand the technical complexities involved in proper web development. However creating email campaigns can be a nice little earner and is simple enough to code but complex e-comerce sites I'd leave to the big boys like my partner with 20 years experience. Not sure you are aware of what's available in the open-source arena: JOOMLA is a CMS development tool that allows you to build websites and include various elements (picture viewer etc.) so your clients can update content themselves. Joomla could be the way forward for you.

Last edited:
I know exactly what you mean here.

Ive recently been looking for a new job as a designer, and all of the vacancies list web design and flash as part of the job role, which at the time felt really daunting learning a whole new way of thinking and design for the web.

I got myself a copy of dreamweaver and found it isnt as hard as you think. As long as you know the basics of web design i think you'll eventually get there. A site i used which helped a lot was w3 schools, this gives you the basics of html tutorials and alot of advanced stuff too.

Ive only just started building websites myself, doing a few for friends and people i know. I found theres no way better to learn than to actually get a process in place and get on with it. You'll be amazed how much you can achieve the first time around. The first site i built was for a friend, you can find this at www.creativejunkiemedia.com, i learnt a hell on a lot building this and will more than likely go back to rectify the site in future.

If you don't want to do anything too complicated with databases and stuff, Freeway is an excellent tool for designers who want to do a bit of web design. It works a bit like a DTP app and does all the coding for you. I use it to make some pretty involved websites, and call in a techy guy if I need help with the backend stuff. Which is very rarely, to be honest.

Softpress: Powerful, easy to use web design software for Mac OS X

There's loads of tutorials in their knowledgebase to get started. If you're experienced in Indesign of Quark, it's pretty simple.

Dont worry about coding! Buy a book on basic dreamweaver and youre laughing. Once you learn the basics of DW its pretty much the same as any other Adobe programme. If you start taking on web projects, employ a good coder and just do the plans. let them worry about making it work.

Back