Graphic Designer and his backpack

Sean.o.art

Hi all!

Just found this awesome forum site and really hoped you guys could help.

In August I will be leaving the UK to move travel, starting in Thailand doing a bar-tending course and then see what happens.

I've always loved my graphic design and will be leaving my 2-year stint as am in-house junior designer to live my dream of travelling - I'm 20 so don't have anything tying me down.

The reason I am on this forum is because I hoped some of you might have some helpful tips for me for continuing to be able to design whist living out of a backpack.

Primarily, whether you have any cheap laptop suggestions that don't take up much room whilst still being able to use illustrator, photoshop and indesign (primarily). I have been suggested a Chromebook but wanted to see what you all thought?

Looking forward to hearing from you with your suggestions.

All the best,

Sean :)

scotty

Staff member
Hey Sean.

Welcome to the forum.

Not sure on the hardware but I recently saw a Lenovo Yoga mentioned as a budget design laptop.

If you search out "Digital, Nomad, Freelance, Designer" it should bring up lots of blogs and articles on the subject with hardware tips and loads of other stuff.
A mate of mine has been doing it for the last five years and he seems to be loving it.

Sean.o.art

Hey Sean.

Welcome to the forum.

Not sure on the hardware but I recently saw a Lenovo Yoga mentioned as a budget design laptop.

If you search out "Digital, Nomad, Freelance, Designer" it should bring up lots of blogs and articles on the subject with hardware tips and loads of other stuff.
A mate of mine has been doing it for the last five years and he seems to be loving it.
Hi Scotty,

Thanks for your quick response!

I will look the Lenovo up and search for those blogs.

I am going out with no plans on coming back so could do exactly that - thanks again!

Will let you know if I find anything!

Sean

scotty

Staff member
No worries Sean. I don't blame you. :D

I got tempted to go travelling again a while back so was checking it all out myself and found a lot of specific sites on the subject that had loads of info and blogs with peoples live experiences.
It's become a lot more popular in recent yeas so you'll not have to re-invent the wheel so to speak.

Design is the perfect nomad profession and I wish you all the best.

Levi

Staff member
I have been suggested a Chromebook but wanted to see what you all thought?
No idea who suggested this to you but it's literally the absolute worst suggestion any one could have given you considering your requirements.... it can't even run the programs you mentioned. The android version of photoshop just isn't worth considering using as a tool.

Personally, I'd be looking at a higher spec surface go or even a base level surface pro (second hand might even be an option).

Another option, as much as I hate (I'm not an apple fan shall we say) suggesting this might be an iPad plus the affinity suite of software (not had experience myself but others seem to like it on here) but I'm not sure how good that is at file compatibility these days.

scotty

Staff member
Glad you jumped in Levi as I'm not that up on hardware.

I am thinking on moving over to Affinity on iPad though and depending on the work the OP would be doing it could be the perfect option.
That and a decent hard case. ;)

Sean.o.art

No idea who suggested this to you but it's literally the absolute worst suggestion any one could have given you considering your requirements.... it can't even run the programs you mentioned. The android version of photoshop just isn't worth considering using as a tool.

Personally, I'd be looking at a higher spec surface go or even a base level surface pro (second hand might even be an option).

Another option, as much as I hate (I'm not an apple fan shall we say) suggesting this might be an iPad plus the affinity suite of software (not had experience myself but others seem to like it on here) but I'm not sure how good that is at file compatibility these days.
Hi Levi,

Totally agree with you, I was against the Chromebook idea but thought I may have been missing something... Thanks for clarifying

I want to try and avoid spending too much in case things get nicked or broken, so maybe second hand is a good shout.

The iPad isn't a bad shout (bar the price) but Affinity, certainly on PC, is a good piece of software, and as far as I know is compatible with Ai.

Thanks again for your response!

Sean

Levi

Staff member
Hi Levi,

Totally agree with you, I was against the Chromebook idea but thought I may have been missing something... Thanks for clarifying

I want to try and avoid spending too much in case things get nicked or broken, so maybe second hand is a good shout.

The iPad isn't a bad shout (bar the price) but Affinity, certainly on PC, is a good piece of software, and as far as I know is compatible with Ai.

Thanks again for your response!

Sean
Getting an ipad (pro) second hand might be easier than a windows pc in some locations. I also wouldn't say the base ipad (which now supports a stylus) as being 'that' expensive new in the grand scheme of things when you look at the cost of a laptop that can 'comfortably' run the programs you want to run.

Sean.o.art

Getting an ipad (pro) second hand might be easier than a windows pc in some locations. I also wouldn't say the base ipad (which now supports a stylus) as being 'that' expensive new in the grand scheme of things when you look at the cost of a laptop that can 'comfortably' run the programs you want to run.
That makes sense to be fair - Obviously I wouldn't be using Adobe, but that would reduce costs if I don't have that. I will look at prices and see what others say but really appreciate the suggestions!

S

scotty

Staff member
You can get a new 2018 iPad + Apple Pencil + Affinity Designer for less than £500.
You could also add the case with incorporated keyboard pretty reasonably.

A second hand (2012-sh) Macbook Pro can be picked up for around £350.

Sean.o.art

You can get a new 2018 iPad + Apple Pencil + Affinity Designer for less than £500.
You could also add the case with incorporated keyboard pretty reasonably.

A second hand (2012-sh) Macbook Pro can be picked up for around £350.
Thanks Scotty!

I have the small 2018 iPad and an Apple Pencil, so I will try all that out prior to leaving and see if it will work - fingers crossed!

Levi

Staff member
Thanks Scotty!

I have the small 2018 iPad and an Apple Pencil, so I will try all that out prior to leaving and see if it will work - fingers crossed!
If it's suitable, just use that then buy a 'new one' when you get home. It would save any unnecessary outlay before the trip.

scotty

Staff member
Amazing, thank you! It looks really good. I don't have a mac unfortunately, just the iPad 2018 and apple pencil - is this on the app store and if so, do you know how it compares to Affinity Designer?

Thanks again for your help

S

To be honest, I'm thinking of switching to Affinity Designer + iPad 2018 + Apple Pencil and all but ditching my MacBook and Ai.

Serif have just released the 1.7 version of Designer and rolled it out to the iPad and it looks very good and most likely the best design app for iPad hands down.

Plus, I read that the iPad is to get its own OS which is supposed to be a great improvement but not sure if that's just for the new ones?

Sean.o.art

To be honest, I'm thinking of switching to Affinity Designer + iPad 2018 + Apple Pencil and all but ditching my MacBook and Ai.

Serif have just released the 1.7 version of Designer and rolled it out to the iPad and it looks very good and most likely the best design app for iPad hands down.

Plus, I read that the iPad is to get its own OS which is supposed to be a great improvement but not sure if that's just for the new ones?
That all sounds very exciting! I used Affinity Designer when it first came out as it was so much cheaper, and I loved it! Yes, there were more limitations but it was new and I'm sure it is now so much better.

You'll have to let us know what you decide and how it pans out

All the best,

S

scotty

Staff member
Will do! :)

I've been considering switching to Affinity for a while now and the one thing that stopped me was the lack of actions for creating isometric views but now Serif have released "Isometric Studio" in 1.7 which blows Ai out of the water.

Plus, my old MacBook is giving up the ghost so the iPad seems the logical choice both for ease of use and financially.

Sean.o.art

Will do! :)

I've been considering switching to Affinity for a while now and the one thing that stopped me was the lack of actions for creating isometric views but now Serif have released "Isometric Studio" in 1.7 which blows Ai out of the water.

Plus, my old MacBook is giving up the ghost so the iPad seems the logical choice both for ease of use and financially.
Sounds like a really good plan! Hope it works out

I will play about with it on my iPad 2018 (the lowest spec model) and see what happens and let you know.