Graphic Design Software

I see it that its not really available to everyone, especially when it comes to the price. If you're not serious about design then you're not going to spend hundreds on the software.

Although of course it is available to everyone for free on tinternet, but I wouldn't know anything about that......

The fact is if someone were to get hold of the software in a frantic quest to get a logo for their new business and create it themselves, quite frankly they would be stupid

This reads so much like a course project.... sorry but do your own work :p

lukedavies said:
Yes Levi, It's a question we've been handed :p I've got my own opinions.. I just though seeing as I'm doing it, it'd be interesting to know what everyone else thinks :)
Hand in the work, show grade then we'll answer :up:

Don't be offended Balders, I knew you weren't being serious and neither was I. Next time I'll add a smiley. :)

I wonder what results we'd get from a competition to create some artwork using only MS Paint and a mouse.

Levi said:
This reads so much like a course project.... sorry but do your own work :p

if it is a project/question to answer then he WILL need to ask peoples opinions and include that in his work. nothing wrong with posting this question and getting feedback on here.

lukedavies said:
Hi everyone,

I was wondering what everyone's opinions on the availability of graphic design software to everyone is? Do you think it's good that 'anyone' can have access to the software, or the opposite?
(Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop etc etc)

Do you even agree that 'anyone can have access to software'?

Look forward to hearing your views..

I have access to a varied array of tools, but doesn't make me a carpenter, a builder or a plumber.

You'll always need someone with the skills to operate the tools. So yeah anyone can have the software IMHO.

Josella said:
if it is a project/question to answer then he WILL need to ask peoples opinions and include that in his work. nothing wrong with posting this question and getting feedback on here.
not if you look at the question, it's not a question about what software we use, it's about "availability of graphic design software to everyone". He can do his own work on that one as it's an personal opinion piece not a survey piece.

Design software is available to everyone.

There are enough free programmes that are pretty good, considering they are free, that mean if you want to dable, then use the free stuff.
This also comes round to the idea, if you just want to dable, it depends on your moral opinion of pirated software.

It also depends on what software you're looking to - if you consider programmes like GIMP or Pixlr then, clearly, there are options that are completely available and easy to access for anyone.

lukedavies said:
Hi everyone,

I was wondering what everyone's opinions on the availability of graphic design software to everyone is? Do you think it's good that 'anyone' can have access to the software, or the opposite?
(Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop etc etc)

Do you even agree that 'anyone can have access to software'?

Look forward to hearing your views..

Every one can use this software if they have good knowledge about the programs. I use photoshop it is easy to use.

I agree, having the software available to everyone isn't a bad thing... It's better IMO, & free software is even better!!! Not the pirated sort of course... ;) I believe that anyone should have access, but like rossnorthernunion previously mentioned having the tools doesn't give you the skills, it's the dedication & passion that bring it all together. I started with an old version of Photoshop Elements 2.0 & that was pre-installed on my very first home computer (for free)& if I never had access to that it's highly likely I might never have gained the skills I needed to use the more advanced software further in the future & gain that edge over fellow students who had never used photoshop.

I believe that access is the key & not allowing a person access for own gain or because of geographical location, race, age... ect is almost like refusing a person food & water. Obviously the interwebs is a huge player in access these days so it's almost impossible to deny a person access to anything unless your ISP is instructed to block that access, but it's knowing how to access & that is something I think you need to consider when answering this question.

Back