Graphic Design Portfolio

well you know how to play with filters but it looks like you've forgotten how to use pen and paper....

Uni want's to see diversity of skills and how the design was developed. not just something from photoshop

yeaah, i've got my sketchbook at home which is where i develop my ideas. Do you think that what i have is enough to prove my skills in photoshop?

well, i have an interview in february, so i'll still have more to do between now and then..

is the stuff that i have on the website any good?

Hey Luke,

I think the portfolio is quite weak your going to be vie'ing for a place at university against some very very talented Graphic Designers, With that I mind I feel you should raise the bar some more with your work.

I would also suggest developing some homebrew brief's, pick several businesses around your area and the uni's area and get rebranding them etc to go into your portfolio.

Good Luck.

Sunburn said:
Hey Luke,

I think the portfolio is quite weak your going to be vie'ing for a place at university against some very very talented Graphic Designers, With that I mind I feel you should raise the bar some more with your work.

I would also suggest developing some homebrew brief's, pick several businesses around your area and the uni's area and get rebranding them etc to go into your portfolio.

Good Luck.

Good advice :)

Maybe using http://www.designforums.co.uk/df-competitions/5439-df-brand-competition.html as a brief might help. Don't even have to cover all the tasks, maybe just the logo/menu design if so inclined. Could be a good start.

Good luck!

(p.s. remember to sketch sketch sketch! Some interviewers like to see how you came to the conclusion you did, afte rall part of graphic design is problem solving)

lukedavies said:
well, i have an interview in february, so i'll still have more to do between now and then..

is the stuff that i have on the website any good?

Honestly ? Not in my opinion.

Its already been said but all it shows to me is that you can use a couple of effects and filters.

You need to demonstrate some understanding of design - layouts, colour choices, typography etc.

Good luck!

Hi Luke

Considering your only 17 I think you have good graphic skills. But Uni's are all about concept and the development of the idea.

nolgeordie said:
Hi Luke

Considering your only 17 I think you have good graphic skills. But Uni's are all about concept and the development of the idea.

Sure they are, but if you don't have the skills to polish that idea to a professional level, then you wont get a good job later on.

I think that at your level and age you are slightly ahead of your game which is good. I think you could refine your projects a little, for example with the logo designs, choose a final one to be presented, and the appropriate stationery etc. Having said that, it is also a good idea to include research work and concepts but I would present these in a sketchbook format.

Are you planning on only using the website to show your work or will you have a printed portfolio??

Hi Luke

To get myself ready for Graphic Design in Uni, I went about doing a Foundation course in art and design, to build up my portfolio, and get some guidance. Not all my portfolio was Graphic design, it was sketch book work and fine art, like others say, the interviewers (course leaders/tutors/lecturers) like to see diversity in planning, and how you think. one well thought out concept is better then 5 cheap ones

Also they don't look for your skills in Photoshop as such, that's what uni is for, to learn and progress, obviously most have some knowledge in it, but don't get too worried about it

Good luck in your interviews

To be honest, you've more graphic work to show than I had when I got into the Cambridge School of Art (Anglia Ruskin University) in 2005. I was coming from an A-level art background with no graphic design experience whatsoever, and I still got in. Having said that I suppose there's more competition for University places now, and it's always best to be fully prepared.

I agree with Sunburn, that it would be a wise move to bolster your portfolio with some responses to theoretical briefs. A good book for this is The Graphic Design Exercise Book by Carolyn Knight and Jessica Glaser. It contains briefs of varying levels (beginner, intermediate etc) for logo, packaging, layout, and web design, amongst others.

Can't hurt to give yourself a rudimentary understanding of design theory - maybe do a couple of experimental pieces exploring balance, colour etc. But really, that's the kind of thing you'll be learning at university I'd have thought. They won't expect you to be fully versed in graphic design theory.

It's also worth having the names of a few well-known graphic designers to cite as sources of inspiration. When I had my interview I'd recently been to see an Avant Garde graphic design exhibition so mentioned names like Jan Tschichold and El Lissitsky. Seemed to go down well.

One thing they won't teach you at uni is how to use Photoshop (beyond the bare basics) so you've got a head-start there. And you've tried your hand at logo, web and layout design, so they can see you're enthusiastic and keen to explore multiple design disciplines.

Good luck.

Back