Graphic Design or Communication?

Opps sorry I thought the main issue was " are the career prospects the same?"

As a Creative Director who has employed and is still employing designers/coders and has an ongoing dialogue with recruitment agencies I kinda know what Cv's i'd like to see in my inbox.But, Ooops, I'm just an employer running a design agency, what do I know about careers and employment, PAYE, tax, sick days, pensions, and giving people jobs.

Do you think Print or Designwill even die? Even if we view it digitally, someone has to design it so someone can code it. I am sure no one will write a whole programing code to make a poster (technically that is what happens but we don't write the code ourselves na).
True, right now coding has a lot more career prospects but maybe because of the era we are in.

As for the graphic design & communication, even I was confused about this. Earlier I though graphic communication has to do with advertising. Thanks for clearing that out :)

Print is in heavy decline, has been for the last decade. Printers are going pop every month. Traditional established printers with big presses are suffering because of the lot of small volume work that is uneconomical to fire up the presses for. Smaller digital printers are adapting better.
There will always be a need for design, but the purity of the designer will/is now having to be mixed with the production element of both design and web. The person who can design, write copy, do artwork and build digital communication will survive and prosper. Right now there are more coders than designers needed. And more designers are required to adapt to the digital side if they are to survive.

This is the digital age. We communicate by electronic methods on the whole. The need to understand and harness the technology that dictates our methods is a key driver in commercial business.
The person who can do everything, will have everything.

Berry said:
There will always be a need for design, but the purity of the designer will/is now having to be mixed with the production element of both design and web.

Thats right. Elements being mixed. I didn't say we don't need coding. I said both are needed. And the fact that you employ, sack, make people look stupid and think you're right all the time doesn't mean you are does it? lol

Sorry but the fact you come on here and give your opinion is exactly that, an opinion. We don't have to agree with you because YOU think you're right. You've just condemned a large majority of designers to the scrap heap. You expect us to agree with you just cos you're doing well? So are we.

Berry said:
As a Creative Director who has employed and is still employing designers/coders and has an ongoing dialogue with recruitment agencies I kinda know what Cv's i'd like to see in my inbox.But, Ooops, I'm just an employer running a design agency, what do I know about careers and employment, PAYE, tax, sick days, pensions, and giving people jobs.

The point is, if you're a graphic designer who CAN"T code, give up. Your career is over! And don't apply for work at Armadillo Creative because I doubt you'll get past the receptionist.

Ian @ B Design said:
And don't apply for work at Armadillo Creative because I doubt you'll get past the receptionist.

Actually you're wrong....You won't even get the chance to meet the receptionist.

I'm very comfortable with that arrangement too because you're not the type of calibre I'm looking to hire.

I'm not your Pal, please get your communication dialogue addressed first.
The only thing killing design is poor quality designers who are not employable and end up pretending to be freelancers.
And I can if I wish afford anyone, if they are worth it.

I'm going to open a new thread so we can play off topic see u shortly

I'll take the one with the working website and bigger brand identity :)

Different take here but it's basically supporting Berry (who has years more experience than me and most others on here)

The simple fact is that print is dying, (as much as I dislike it) the iPad (and android slates) is encouraging tablet/slate apps which replace magazines, these apps are usually based on web technologies, html5, adobe air etc. Rupert murdoch (spelling) is even making his websites pay per view (stupid idea at current prices) meaning they can see the end of printed newspapers, they've introduced apps to allow viewing on iPad etc too.

Yes there's an element of design involved but the number of people required to do said design is reduced while the number of people required to do the coding is increased.

The technology is still prohibitively expensive so it's not going to die overnight but I'd say within 5 years printed magazines and newspapers will be a thing of the past and be used (if still available) by the technologically less inclined. Same principle with street ads, digital billboards are here already, so they're heading down the web or video based route too

Personally I can't even remember the last time I actually had to print work off for a client, it's all digital medium in my case (admittedly I'm cad rendering etc) Most companies can now show work on a big flat panel tv on the wall, plenty of companies are using the iPad (or a laptop) as a device to show work to clients. Hell you don't even need to meet up in this day and age with video conferencing, email and that sort of thing.

Web is the way forward in terms of easily accessible job prospects (you still need to be good obviously), it's a much more future proof option than graphic design/communication. Just think, what you would do when the web apps take over, bit of image manipulation, a bit of graphic work here and there, the rest is type and code, you don't need a designer for that so why hire more than one or 2 graphic designers when they'll be sitting around doing very little.

Note: I'm separating illustration from graphic design and just referencing the types most commonly seen (ie magazine and newspapers)

Levi said:
I'll take the one with the working website and bigger brand identity :)

Different take here but it's basically supporting Berry (who has years more experience than me and most others on here)

Granted, I'm not denying that. And I would have been shocked if you hadn't taken his side. All I'm trying to get across is that Berry's opinion is just that. He may have experience but that doesn't make him right and I think that sometimes it's a case of what he says goes on this forum.

Print is not dead, far from it. All of my previous colleagues work in print. They are doing fine. If anything the ones who have struggled are coders. People will always need print. And my point is that it will work alongside digital media.

I'm sorry I don't agree with the messiah, but I'm not here to make friends, I'm here to give an opinion and thats what I have done.

The reason I am setting up on my own is because the company I worked for made mistakes with their coding setup, lost a lot of money setting up abroad and made a big group of us redundant, including my partner (waiting for the 'that's because she can't code' response). THAT'S why I don't have a site yet. And if I did, I wouldn't put it on here to be torn to pieces by the God like Berry because of his vast experience on the subject. If anyone is going to stop people coming in to graphic design as a career he could make more money doing that than coding. He's doing more harm than good on here.

Although I'm only a coder, (in fact I have zero design training) and a business owner, I have to agree and disagree in parts to points raised by Ian and Berry, I think what we are seeing is a transition from print to digital in the sense that digital is becoming and will become the mainstray, to what print has been for the past 300+ years.

Thats not say that print will die, far from it, as digital becomes as common as the printed newspaper our need for a tangible ala printed document/product will grow and become more desirable, an exclusive process/product reserved for those of us who want something more than a load of old code

Back