Graphic design & Illustration pricing structure

akc

Hi there,

I'm quite new to the industry but have been fortunate enough to get some freelance work. My background is in graphic design but have always done illustration (digital vector based) in my own time.

It's coming to the point where I'm now using illustrations in my graphic design work. But this leaves me confused as to how to structure my pricing.

For example, for a flyer design I would probably price it according to several factors such as: how long it will take it x my hourly rate, who the client is / their budget etc.

But with illustrations I'm aware that the pricing is based on the above factors AS WELL AS the image use, duration and geographic area of use.

Questions:
1. Should I start charging for graphic design and consider licensing the illustration aspect of it?
2. I have a potential educational worksheet project that involves graphic design and character illustration. The client would also like to be supplied with the character image files (jpeg) so that they can use it in future promotional print items. Should I put an additional charge for this use? Should I suggest they buy a license from me? (Sounds complicated and I don't want to scare them away!)

Many thanks!!

Back